Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Sample Exam Solutions for Review

Re: Sample Exam Solutions for Review

Hi Bill,

 

just a quick comment - don't get too weighed down with the "The LabVIEW Style Book" recommendations - whilst it is an excellent book remember that the CLD exam is only 4 hrs and impossible to put all the suggested methods for good code practice into play. My suggestion would be to focus on getting the basics of functionality working first and as long as you document and keep your wires straight etc you should have no problem. Having read through Jeff's comments he says "Any recognizable design pattern is by definition "Maintainable, scaleable and readable." " - that is enough for me to stop fretting about architecture.

Your code clearly shows that you worked thorugh the style book - my concern would be that the time taken to make all those subVIs eats into the time needed for functionality.  (I say this from experience as I sat and failed the exam last year and having also worked through the style book put too much empathise on laying out the software architecture, i.e. having template folders for subvis at the expense of getting the functionality working).

I would prefer to see the error handing subVI code on the block diagram and not in a subvi as this code is only used once, but just my opinion!

Showing that you can put code into subvis is good and makes the block diagram smaller but bad if you have so many of them that it takes too long to do so as you have to document each one..

 

When do you take your exam? I wish you all the very best.

 

Helen

 

 

 

CLD, CTD
Message 91 of 500
(3,710 Views)

Re: Sample Exam Solutions for Review


@HelenC wrote:

Hi Bill,

 

just a quick comment - don't get too weighed down with the "The LabVIEW Style Book" recommendations - whilst it is an excellent book remember that the CLD exam is only 4 hrs and impossible to put all the suggested methods for good code practice into play. My suggestion would be to focus on getting the basics of functionality working first and as long as you document and keep your wires straight etc you should have no problem. Having read through Jeff's comments he says "Any recognizable design pattern is by definition "Maintainable, scaleable and readable." " - that is enough for me to stop fretting about architecture.

Your code clearly shows that you worked thorugh the style book - my concern would be that the time taken to make all those subVIs eats into the time needed for functionality.  (I say this from experience as I sat and failed the exam last year and having also worked through the style book put too much empathise on laying out the software architecture, i.e. having template folders for subvis at the expense of getting the functionality working).

I would prefer to see the error handing subVI code on the block diagram and not in a subvi as this code is only used once, but just my opinion!

Showing that you can put code into subvis is good and makes the block diagram smaller but bad if you have so many of them that it takes too long to do so as you have to document each one..

 

When do you take your exam? I wish you all the very best.

 

Helen

 

 

 


Helen, I think you are dead-on.  I haven't set a date yet because I wanted to see if it was even worth trying.  With these tips though, I think if I work a little harder and keep in mind the actual scope of the test, I should be okay.  Trying to change my thinking patterns is going to be a bit of a challenge, because, as Fezzik from Princess Bride once said, "Well, you see, you use different moves when you're fighting half a dozen people than when you only have to be worried about ... one."  Smiley Wink

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 92 of 500
(3,704 Views)

Re: Sample Exam Solutions for Review


@billko wrote:

Helen, I think you are dead-on.  I haven't set a date yet because I wanted to see if it was even worth trying.  With these tips though, I think if I work a little harder and keep in mind the actual scope of the test, I should be okay.  Trying to change my thinking patterns is going to be a bit of a challenge, because, as Fezzik from Princess Bride once said, "Well, you see, you use different moves when you're fighting half a dozen people than when you only have to be worried about ... one."  Smiley Wink


I do not envy you the headache you will have when you take the test. But for now, rest well and dream of large problem statements.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 93 of 500
(3,688 Views)

Re: Sample Exam Solutions for Review

I would avoid not using subVIs simply to save time. Using subVIs does illustrate that you are thinking about reuse and code organization. While you probably could write the entire test in a single VI this would not be a very good method on the CLD exam. You don't want to go overboard but you definitely need to consider and show the thought process of writing modular code.



Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 94 of 500
(3,653 Views)

Re: Sample Exam Solutions for Review

Re. SubVIs - I was suggesting not going over board with subVIs rather than avoiding them totally, in relation to looking at Bill's submitted code.

A good CLD solution should have at least 2 (mentioned in a CLD prep class that I attend at NI week, London) in it to show the examiners that you know how to write and document them etc, but more that say 10 then time could be eaten up documenting, designing icons etc.

Just a case of balance.

 

Helen

 

CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 95 of 500
(3,651 Views)

Re: Sample Exam Solutions for Review


@HelenC wrote:

Re. SubVIs - I was suggesting not going over board with subVIs rather than avoiding them totally, in relation to looking at Bill's submitted code.

A good CLD solution should have at least 2 (mentioned in a CLD prep class that I attend at NI week, London) in it to show the examiners that you know how to write and document them etc, but more that say 10 then time could be eaten up documenting, designing icons etc.

Just a case of balance.

 

Helen

 


These are my reasons for using more SubVIs than less.  Some of them are mostly reated to the way I think, others may be of practical use to others:

 

It helps me organize my thoughts.

    1. I tend to wander off-course and get overwhelmed by the "big picture."  If I can break it up into chunks, it really helps me concentrate on the task at hand.
    2. I don't have to worry about how resizing my workspace is going to affect neighboring structures.  I can concentrate on on coding, not worrying about rerouting wires or creating space for structures.

Using a template contributes to a consistent "feel" to the program.  (I seldom use "Create subVI.")

    1. Nevermind about helping the next developer understand the project.  It helps me because every time I open a new VI based on the template, I am instantly familiar with the workspace, and with a properly developed template, all the stuff I need from the main VI is at my fingertips.
    2. A well-devloped template also assures that my subVI will just drop right in when it is finished.

Modularity.

    1. I never have broken arrows in the main VI because the subVI doesn't get dropped in until it is in working order.  (In other words, unfinished stuff at the end of the test aren't inculded in the main VI yet, so I won't have to scramble around at the last minute trying to figure out how to fix it up enough to get an unbroken arrow while preserving what I already have.)
    2. Being that each subVI represents a requirement in the SRS (or a few of them combined, for test purposes), it is very easy to target areas of failing code.

It satisfies my OCD tendencies.  ('nuff said.  I didn't say all my reasons were GOOD ones.)

 

 

 

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 96 of 500
(3,624 Views)

Re: Sample Exam Solutions for Review

Using a template contributes to a consistent "feel" to the program.  (I seldom use "Create subVI.")

    1. Nevermind about helping the next developer understand the project.  It helps me because every time I open a new VI based on the template, I am instantly familiar with the workspace, and with a properly developed template, all the stuff I need from the main VI is at my fingertips.
    2. A well-devloped template also assures that my subVI will just drop right in when it is finished.

From selection? Edit>> Create Subvi, or File>>New VI?

And, why wasn't that file saved with a *.vit extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2013\templates? 

 

Big hint:  My ini contains

CustomShortcuts=";APP_NEW,Ctrl+~;APP_CREATE_ENHANCED_VI_IMAGE,Ctrl+/;APP_THIS_VIS_HIERARCHY,Ctrl+Shift+V;APP_REENTRANT_ORIGINAL,Ctrl+Shift+M;APP_SHOW_PROFILE_WINDOW,Ctrl+<;APP_SHOW_BUFFER_ALLOCATIONS,Ctrl+>;APP_FULL_SIZE,;APP_EXPLAIN_ERROR,Ctrl+!"

0 Kudos
Message 97 of 500
(3,616 Views)

Re: Sample Exam Solutions for Review


@Jeff·Þ·Bohrer wrote:

Using a template contributes to a consistent "feel" to the program.  (I seldom use "Create subVI.")

    1. Nevermind about helping the next developer understand the project.  It helps me because every time I open a new VI based on the template, I am instantly familiar with the workspace, and with a properly developed template, all the stuff I need from the main VI is at my fingertips.
    2. A well-devloped template also assures that my subVI will just drop right in when it is finished.

From selection? Edit>> Create Subvi, or File>>New VI?

And, why wasn't that file saved with a *.vit extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2013\templates? 

 

Big hint:  My ini contains

CustomShortcuts=";APP_NEW,Ctrl+~;APP_CREATE_ENHANCED_VI_IMAGE,Ctrl+/;APP_THIS_VIS_HIERARCHY,Ctrl+Shift+V;APP_REENTRANT_ORIGINAL,Ctrl+Shift+M;APP_SHOW_PROFILE_WINDOW,Ctrl+<;APP_SHOW_BUFFER_ALLOCATIONS,Ctrl+>;APP_FULL_SIZE,;APP_EXPLAIN_ERROR,Ctrl+!"


Sorry, I meant Edit >> Create SubVI.

 

It wasn't saved in the "real" templates folder because really the template was only for that one project.  (But I did save the icon template in the appropriate place.  I sense some inconsistency here.)  The .vit extension was a real mistake on my part.  I rememberd that extension from long ago but for some reason I forgot all about it.

 

Anyway, all I wanted to really do was explain why I used subVIs more than most people. Some (maybe even most?) people don't have such a hard time focusing on the task at hand, but my mind wants to do everything at once.  That's probably the hardest thing for me.

 

Since the last time I posted, I've been working on trying to strike a balance between haphazard programming and excessive sub-VI creation.  I haven't quite found my comfort level yet.  Too many sub-VIs and I become too slow, but not enough and the code itself becomes distracting to me.  Hopefully I have something new to show soon...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 98 of 500
(3,610 Views)

Re: Sample Exam Solutions for Review

The answer to that happy balance seems related to how the project is paid.

 

Time and materials  (you are way ahead)

X fixed hours (you need those templates and that ini token)  Memorize the path.  "Most" CLD proctors will give you a few minutes to set-up your options.  bring an ini with you.  you won't be able to bring your vit's  (A real shame since project templates seem legal to use)  IMHO knowing when to use a template just makes you look god-like arround other developers.  As in-  "Holy $h!t - he's FAST!"  and I don't QD much.   (There may even be video proving it from NI week)

 

Guess what the exam will test you onSmiley Wink

Now on that Re-cert exam.... they'll get you the other way!

0 Kudos
Message 99 of 500
(3,607 Views)

Re: Sample Exam Solutions for Review

Hi all,

 

I would be very grateful for someone to review my Sprinkler attempt.

I am aware of wire  bends but ran out of time to use VI analyzer to put right the wrongs.

 

On the whole I ran over time by 1/2 hour but wanted to at least get the timing sequence going.

Would also have liked to use more subVIs but my coding is not fast enough for me to feel confident in spending the time to do this.

My CLD exam is on Jan 10th and if I fail then I'll spend more time practing speed before trying again.

 

Cheers,

 

Helen

CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 100 of 500
(3,558 Views)