From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample CLD (Boiler Controller) Solution for Review

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have solved the Boiler Control example, as part of my CLD practice.

Can you guys please review it?

I couldn't meet the timing deadline but I think I can do it with some practice.

Also please excuse the documentation part. I hav done almost nothing on that as of now.

I would like to see comments on architecture, functionality, code readability, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Moni

**If necessity is the mother of invention, I bet laziness is the father.**
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,159 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mmoni

I'm studying for the CLD myself and haven't passed it, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

A few suggestions. They're all very minor.

1) For your next practice, take the last 10 minutes of the 4 hours and do documentation. Those are fast, easy points. It's even better if you document as you go - just type a quick description of what you're doing in each frame, and add documentation to your VI Properties (especially your main one).

2) This is very minor, but I noticed a lot of coercion dots. A Quick Drop and Ctrl+I will clear those out quickly.

3) I think you should hide your debug indicators for State Q. At least move them off to the side, away from the desired front panel.

4) Shift cluster should definitely be a typedef.

5) Is there a reason you used a "File Directory/Info" instead of a "Check if File Exists" function? This is more a curiosity question than anything; the way you coded is functional, but sort of indirect.

6) I'm not sure if the exact right values are writing for the log file, I see "6/27/2012::10:29 PM,Pilot Proved,29.59" as a line, and I would expect the Pilot value to be >30?

I think barring a slight lack of documentation, it looks great. It's very organized and it's clear in every state what you're doing.

I hope you pass! Good luck on your exam!

Message 2 of 4
(7,156 Views)

Thanks Mike for the review. You are quite right in all the comments:

1) I plan to target 3 hrs to solve the problem. I know I overflow the time always so that will provide be some buffer, and some time to clean-up the code and put some documentation.

2) I'll try to minimize the c-dots. Thanks for pointing out.

3) You are right: the StateQ should not be visible. I should have removed it in clean up.

4) You're right again!

5) Yes I should have used "Check if File Exists". I see that I am also not specifically checking for the error code for file not found so the result could be ambiguous.

6) I am unable to open the code at work, I'll have a check why its happening so.

Thanks a lot again for your effort and time. Looks like you're definitely going to make it thru CLD. All the best!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(7,151 Views)

Finally got the results yesterday, after exact 6 weeks !

Cleared the test 🙂

Score = 93.38%

Message 4 of 4
(7,074 Views)