Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Riding the CLA on LVOOP

This has been a great start to the year 2012, being chosen as a LabVIEW Champion and getting my CLA status.

For those who are going to appear for CLA riding on LVOOP, I thought to share some experiences/learnings from the exam:

1) Try to break down the functionalities into layers - the CLA exam mostly consists of questions which can be easily broken down to Parent-Child relationship

2) I chose the Actor Framework to make the architecture, commenting out the functionality of each parent and child, and also commenting on the level of modularity Actor Framework brings in.

3) I took some spare time to change the LabVIEW settings before the start of exam, which helps save time while you are designing the architecture.

4) Since designing the architecture in 4 hours is a challenge in CLA, try to design at least 2 modules completely, and you could refer to these two ones for the development of the remaining modules.

I thank the NI Community which helped me to give an insight to the exam, and I got to learn a lot from this community. 🙂

-FraggerFox!
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Developer
"What you think today is what you live tomorrow"
Message 1 of 14
(9,278 Views)

Congratulations to you FraggerFox on passing the CLA! Sounds like you developed a very convincing solution to the exam paper Smiley Happy

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Message 2 of 14
(9,271 Views)

What do you mean by "Riding on LVOOP"? If I have never used LVOOP, will I have a hard time passing the CLA exam?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(9,119 Views)
No, OOP is not necessary to pass the exam, although it is in the course material and becoming an increasing part of NI's ambitions.
Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(9,110 Views)

@Fragger Fox wrote:

2) I chose the Actor Framework to make the architecture, commenting out the functionality of each parent and child, and also commenting on the level of modularity Actor Framework brings in.

Just curious how you were able to use the Actor Framework since this is not included in LabVIEW 2011?

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(9,014 Views)

Anyone has an Actor Framework version of CLA Example Solution? I am debating myself if I should go with the traditional way which uses Functional Globals or Actor Framework way, which NI is pushing these days.

Thank you!

TailOfGon
Certified LabVIEW Architect 2013
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(8,737 Views)

@TailOfGon wrote:

I am debating myself if I should go with the traditional way which uses Functional Globals or Actor Framework way, which NI is pushing these days.

Stick with what you know.  If you are very familiar with the Actor Framework and you can architect it quickly, go for it.  If you would be faster with the traditional FGV and Queues, go with that.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 7 of 14
(8,730 Views)

@TailOfGon wrote:

Anyone has an Actor Framework version of CLA Example Solution? I am debating myself if I should go with the traditional way which uses Functional Globals or Actor Framework way, which NI is pushing these days.

Thank you!

Check out the ATM sample code attached.
I would recommend you to use the architecture you are most comfortable with.

-FraggerFox!
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Developer
"What you think today is what you live tomorrow"
Message 8 of 14
(8,715 Views)

Thank you crossrulz and FraggerFox

I am going to train myself with AF way. I like LVOOP but Functional Global is not my favorite as FG does not allow multiple instances and have no inheritance. Inheritance makes it easier to the next phase of a project.

FraggerFox, I really appreciate the file you have postedSmiley LOL I had a brief look at it and it looks great. It gave me a lot better and clearer idea than I initially had about how to architect a program like the one in the example.

I use LabVIEW 2012, which comes with AF Template Generator and Message Generation tool. So I will rely on them to create a part of my architecture, making my solution look a little bit different from yours. But taking a look at how each actor relates to others definately helps me. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks!

TailOfGon
Message 9 of 14
(8,704 Views)

FraggerFox, I forgot to mention that I will look into your AF solution deeper in the next few days 🙂

TailOfGon
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(8,699 Views)