Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project use in CLD exam

Hello,

Most of people recommand  using the project in the real CLD exam. I had a try with it in my Car Wash practice today.

I attached the snapshot of the project tree, please check it is OK or not for the exam purpose.

I manually "new" the subVIs and Controls (virtual folders) under the computer root, and add the files inside.

Is the "Dependencies" and its items generate automatically?

Thanks for any comments!

Yue

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(8,954 Views)

Computer root or project root?  From what I remember back when I took the CLD there was a requirement for your files on disk to follow a proper hierarchy.  For this reason, I used the autopopulating folders.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(8,944 Views)

Thanks for reply.

How could I switch all the contents to project root? and why the computer under the project root?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(8,940 Views)

Hello Yue,

Your project structure looks good to me.  If you're ever unsure of the actual location of a file on disk, click the Files tab in the project to see where they are. 

Some people prefer to use Auto Populating folders over Virtual folders.  Not everyone does though. 

People from NI have responded on previous threads and said that use of the Project is not a requirement of this exam.  I don't know if that means you won't be awarded any 'extra' points for Style or Documentation.  But in my opinion you can provide a better example of both by taking a few minutes to setup the Project.   

Dependencies are automatically "added" to the folder as they are generated within the project.  For example, if you drag a VI into one of your Virtual Folders, and that VI has one or more SubVIs in the code; that VI was dependent on those SubVIs. ( and whatever libraries they may be attached to ) Now that the VI has been incorporated into your Project, the Project is now dependent on those SubVIs as well.   The Dependencies folder keeps track of this. 

This becomes especially useful if you've moved a project from PC to another or when you start combining work from multiple developers into a single Project. 

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
Message 4 of 11
(8,922 Views)

@phyyu wrote:

Thanks for reply.

How could I switch all the contents to project root? and why the computer under the project root?

Many thanks.

My Computer is the target where the VIs will execute.  RIO1 would be an examle of a target were FPGA VIs would run.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(8,915 Views)

Since I am not familiar with the project and it is not required with CLD, maybe not using it is a better choiceSmiley Tongue

Leave it to CLA....

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(8,909 Views)

If you are not familliar with projects-  get familliar with them

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(8,905 Views)

I'm with Jeff.  Get used to projects.  They help a TON orginzing your projects and code.  Plus they are required to build applications.  Just because projects are not required right now, they could.  And I would argue that they should be required.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(8,886 Views)

There is a reason Projects are Core I Mod 2 material.  They are that basic to LabVIEW these days.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(8,883 Views)

Hi,

Just to be clear, there are no points given or taken for using the Project in the CLD exam.

I do agree that projects are great, especialy when you have scores of VI's, Drivers, build specs, etc..  

Mark Ramsdale
Program Manager & CLA
Global Demo and Equipment at National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(8,870 Views)