Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please critique my boiler VI

Hi there,

I just tried my hand at the Boiler sample problem in preparation for the CLD. Any critique would be much appreciated. The main application is just called Boiler.VI. Thank you,

Gregory

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,442 Views)

Strangely, I found the buttons in the "Solution" exam were using a latched mechanism, while the front panel supplied had switch mechanism. It also was not clear to me whether you continuously log the purge time or only at the begin purge and complete purge steps. Hopefully minor details in my interpretation of the problem aren't worth that much!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,438 Views)

I don't really have much input because I thought that you did a great job. I would just put everything inside of a project and do one final check for style and documentation (Undocumented Timer FGV might be some easy partial points).

I always suggest having at least some label for documentation in each state but I don't know what is really expected for "proper documentation" so that's probably more of a preference thing.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 3 of 12
(5,401 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

I always suggest having at least some label for documentation in each state but I don't know what is really expected for "proper documentation" so that's probably more of a preference thing.

Not sure if it is graded on this or not but there is a VI Analyzer test that checks for this by default, so I'd suspect this might be the case.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,382 Views)

I was actually looking for VI Analyzer and couldn't find it!

I can find it easily under the Tools menu in the LV 2014 professional development suite. I did this practice test at home using the LabVIEW home bundle, does it include VI analyzer? Maybe I was just nervous taking the test.

Thank you for your suggestions and encouragement!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,374 Views)

VI Analyzer is not free with all editions of LabVIEW, it looks like it is included with Professional, and the developer suite, which I think is considered Professional.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/209042

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,365 Views)

I just did the sprinkler exam for a little more practice (and that one seemed significantly shorter). Signed up for the test on 2/19!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,308 Views)

I found the actual CLD to be something like 10% harder than the practice exams.  This is just my opinion of course, but my advice is to make sure you can handle the practice exam with ease, and you shouldn't have a problem with the real thing.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,300 Views)

I did find it a bit harder as well, but also more clear of what they were asking. I think the worst part was that I was working on a laptop instead of my normal 2 monitor setup. I'll report back in 4-6 weeks!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,212 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

Not sure if it is graded on this or not but there is a VI Analyzer test that checks for this by default, so I'd suspect this might be the case.

It is.  You might lose a partial to a whole point depending on other factors and the graders opinions of the rest of the documentation but you will almost surely get a comment on the review for not commenting each case and structure.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,146 Views)