cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passed CLD!

Just a quick post to say I just found out I passed my cld! 🙂
Message 1 of 6
(6,828 Views)

That's one good Christmas present.  Congratulations!  Please feel free to talk about your experience in order to help others.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 6
(6,818 Views)

Good idea! 

Here are some things I learned from both practicing for the test and taking the test:

1. Start developing your code by adhering to the LabVIEW Style Guide and document all your code as described in Chapter 5 of that same document now. This will make style and documenation natural for you. I had several pieces of code that didn't function properly, but I got near 100% on style and 100% on documentation. That includes tip strips. So in short, style and documentation really helped my overall score!

Making sure the style was good and documenting as I go is easiest for me. As opposed to coming back and doing it all at the end when I may not remmeber what I did and remembering what needed to be commented. 

2. As many others have said spend the first bit of time (20 min for me) reading and understanding the specification. As I read each section, I made a state chart diagram showing each state and the transitions to/from each state. I also made brief notes about what the state should do and what the UI should do at that point. This helped me have a clear picture of the system as I read the specification and my notes were a handy reference as I coded.

Of course, I was sure to check the code functionality against the original document and not my notes.

I did learn half way through the test that I should trust my notes, because I made a deviation from the notes. Once I realized I had made this deviation it was too late too correct it so I had to document what I had done incorrectly.

3. I stopped coding when about 20-30 minutes was left. At this point I had a sizeable portion of the code functioning. I did not want to risk breaking my existing code. At this point, I started to document the following:

• what didn't work, why it didn't work, and what I would have done differently. 
  • Tip strips and control\indicator descriptions. 
  • Remember, at this point everything else was already documented, so I only had to document what didn't work.

4. I didn't have any bad experiences with this, but in the last 5 minutes I did transfer the test the USB flash drive and opened it from there to make sure nothing was broken. I included this step in my practice exams.

5. It is true you should practice, practice, practice. Then when you are done with that practice some more! The first 2 practice exams took me about 4.5 hours, which was disheartening. However, I learned my mistakes from those two tests (mostly the things listed above), and I corrected those mistakes for the last two practice exams. I then was finishing them within 4 hours. Your mistakes may be different than mine, so make sure you practice those exams with a 4 hour chunk of time set aside to see what your mistakes will be. 

Hope this helps someone out there!

Message 3 of 6
(6,789 Views)

Congrats, and thanks for the tips.

Ing. Jonathan E. Cruz Ortiz

ENERGÍA PROACTIVA S.A.S

Cel : (+57) 3173669343 - (+57) 3124451894

Message 4 of 6
(6,779 Views)

I thought of one other tip regarding practicing. Practicing is important because the way you code for the CLD exam is probably not how you code on a regular basis. That make practicing so much more important, so that you can get used to coding for the CLD.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,769 Views)

Congratulations.........Welcome to Club......

Anil Punnam
CLD
LV 2012, TestStand 4.2..........
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,730 Views)