Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online CLD exam

Hi all,

I'm thinking of writing the CLD exam online. Has anyone else done this? What was your experience like? Do I do the development on a virtual machine or on my own PC? What other requirements do I need? If development is on a virtual machine, how is the user interface, and does it feel real-time or is there always some delay?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,946 Views)

I have taken the exam online.  It is stressful but if you are prepared it is close to the in person testing.  You are limited to one monitor so make sure you have a good sized one.  You will be doing the development on a virtual computer so you don't have to have LabVIEW on your laptop or computer you use.  You can't have paper, no chewing gum or food, and you can't read out loud to yourself (I do this all the time) or put your hands in front of your mouth.  There is a delay and this would get in the way a few times.  Wish I had those few extra minutes that the delay gave me.  I would say if you can do the practice exams in 2.5 hours than you would be ok for time.  Also, know all the little CLD practice problems by heart as well.  

Good luck!! (I just finished mine this morning...on pins and needles to find out my results!)

-ncm
Message 2 of 5
(3,867 Views)

Hey thanks for the info!

Did you pass? 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,806 Views)

Hi abvenk,

I gave my cld exam online some 2 weeks back and passed - a great relief. There will be lags but it won't be much. I used an internet connection with 30 mbps and that was enough to get through the exam without much trouble. There are few things to remember such as some shortcuts won't work as we will be using Google Chrome to work on virtual machine. 

1. Ctrl+T because it opens a new tab in chrome and you are not allowed to have something else running on the computer.

2. Ctrl+W because it closes the current tab. And you have to be very careful about this one. Because we all have this habit of using Ctrl+W to close the open vi's. Chrome asks you to confirm for closing the tab. 

Actually in my exam i pressed Ctrl+W and it kind of hanged and the chrome got closed. I panicked because I didn't knew if I will be able to restore the test or not. But fortunately you can resume your test again after the initial room & desk check by the Validator.

Please try to have at least 15 mins for using the VI analyzer to analyze and remove small mistakes. Documentation is the area you can score good  marks without much work. So focus on that also. Don't forget to change your VI icons from default one, specially the main VI one because we usually change the icons for the Subvi's but forget to do the same for main VI.

The last thing the validator will pause the exam if some other tab is open in your computer so be sure to disable all the updates.

Try to do the example tests in around 2.5 hrs and you will be able to clear the exam.Hope it helps.

Jasmeet Singh

CLD

Message 4 of 5
(3,758 Views)

Thanks for all the info and tips!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,741 Views)