From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online CLD Experience - useful tips for interested test takers

I am going to share my experience of the online exam and share some useful tips.

1. Most of the people had the problem of shortcuts not working. I managed to find a remapping solution to that after an effort of 2-3 days.

However, the proctor didn't allow me to setup my environment. Moreover, I had the remapped shortcuts written on a paper. I had to set those shortcuts (which I could remember) during the exam time. I lost my precious initial 10 minutes in setting up. If I fail by a narrow margin, I am going to take up this issue with the certification team.

2. I took the test over WiFi and it worked almost seamless. Its not going to be as crisp as your local development system. .

3. I used a big screen with a laptop. I used a separate camera. You have to close the laptop lid and you are good to go.

4. I was not informed about the remaining time at any point. At the end, my connection was lost. When I connected back, I asked for the remaining time. At that point, I was told that I have 14 seconds left. You can imagine the frenzy afterwards.

5. Overall it was a good experience. I would strongly advocate to Practice as much as you can.

Best Regards,
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Certified Architect
Message 1 of 2
(2,984 Views)

Thanks for posting @HyperSol - I really wish I read this before taking my online CLA!

I too found it quite convenient, but I did find some aspects bizarre e.g. proctor giving you a number to call if you find it hard to re-access the system after your internet drops out, but you're not allowed to save the information or write it down.

Thought I'd add a few tips of my own:

1. Would reiterate to wear a watch as the lack of timing system really threw me off. The system clock shows a random time that seems un-related to the real time.
  2. Yes, separate camera is useful for panning around the room. I disabled my laptop camera in Device Manager.
  3. Program wise, there is no Windows snipping tool and print screen didn't seem to work. Only found this out as I like to snip the front panel sketch next to my UI VIs while I'm working on them. Instead I made an additional copy of the PDF so I could have the sketch open next to the instructions.
  4. Full screen the browser window BEFORE the test is started. When my internet connection dropped out, I exited full screen mode and it was all blurry once it came back.
  5. Launch the test nice and early - it took me half an hour-ish to do all of the check-in stuff and wait for approval. Maybe that was longer than average, who knows, but I was getting twitchy as my test start time came and went.
  6. You can drink water from a clear glass - I okayed this with the proctor.
  7. Some of the shortcuts seemed buggy, but others worked. I had some problems with copy and paste for GObjects at 1 point, but CTRL+Click+Drag was still okay.
  8. You can take a comfort break with the proctor's permission but you are still on the clock. Luckily I didn't have to do this. Useful to know the option is here though - 4h is a long time!

Wishing you all the best for your results.

Message 2 of 2
(2,874 Views)