Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW reworked CLAD exam - Suggestions for improvement

I think you guys need to be more proactive in broadcasting this idea to those studying for it right now. You cant assume that because people havent supported this particular thought on this particular forum in this particular post, that they dont want it. Please start a poll or a survey of sorts and ask whether or not they would prefer justification of the answers. And i dont mean the people who have taken the CLAD 10 years ago, but those who have taken it within the last year. I have shown this idea to my work mates and they think its ludicrous that such an important part of a students learning is taken away.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 25
(1,533 Views)

Hi,

While i understand that what you are expecting with this new format is that CLAD exam takers master concepts rather than just regurgitate information, I also have to disagree with your method.  First : I recently took the core 1 and core 2 courses and in my opinion, after looking over the 2017 exam example, these are defficient and not reflective of what is expected for the exam.  Second: the lack of justification for the answer does nothing except waste time.  We inately want to know what we did wrong, or how we can fix it.  While making someone go to a forum and post a question shows dedication, it does nothing but waste time. we might learn something new from peripheral information while trying to find the exact justification to a specific question, but we still want that exact justification.  While you are right to expect mastery rather that memorization, the absence of an immediate justification does nothing to encourage understanding of the solution or the problem.  Khan academy encourages mastery, yet they offer an expandable step by step answer to any of their practice problems.  I had a hard time finding this forum, that alone should serve as an example of the fact that time was wasted on looking for the correct venue instead of practicing relevant material.

Message 22 of 25
(1,458 Views)

Hi,

While i understand that what you are expecting with this new format is that CLAD exam takers master concepts rather than just regurgitate information, I also have to disagree with your method.  First : I recently took the core 1 and core 2 courses and in my opinion, after looking over the 2017 exam example, these are deficient and not reflective of what is expected for the exam.  Second: the lack of justification for the answer does nothing except waste time.  We innately want to know what we did wrong, or how we can fix it.  While making someone go to a forum and post a question shows dedication, it does nothing but waste time. we might learn something new from peripheral information while trying to find the exact justification to a specific question, but we still want that exact justification.  While you are right to expect mastery rather that memorization, the absence of an immediate justification does nothing to encourage understanding of the solution or the problem.  Khan academy encourages mastery, yet they offer an expandable step by step answer to any of their practice problems.  I had a hard time finding this forum, that alone should serve as an example of the fact that time was wasted on looking for the correct venue instead of practicing relevant material.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 25
(1,457 Views)

Well said! I hope people from NI notice your response and can take what youve said on board.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 25
(1,442 Views)

Bump - Hoping this gets taken on board!

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 25
(1,298 Views)