Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW reworked CLAD exam - Suggestions for improvement

As someone who recently took the exam I think it makes almost no sense to provide no direction with answers.

When teaching/tutoring its taught to help the students arrive at the answer themselves with direction. The way NI handles it is by saying "nope your answer is wrong. Go figure out why"

Instead they could say "Nope your answer is wrong. This is why your answer is wrong."

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 25
(2,497 Views)

@Muri777 wrote:

As someone who recently took the exam I think it makes almost no sense to provide no direction with answers.

When teaching/tutoring its taught to help the students arrive at the answer themselves with direction. The way NI handles it is by saying "nope your answer is wrong. Go figure out why"

Instead they could say "Nope your answer is wrong. This is why your answer is wrong."

Have you ever tried to get studii to help them arrive at an answer?

This board does fill that " Why is your answer wrong?" Study buddy need you have expressed.  We cannot master the concepts for you.

In fact, until a master of the material you misscomprehend can understand the thought process that led you wrong, you will not be able too learn better!

How could "NI" get inside what you think without knowing every false axiom you think is true?

Explore and question!  Answers will be forthcoming from journemen, apprentices and masters!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 25
(2,489 Views)

Hi again. Thanks for your reply. The wording you use is somewhat confusing (journemen?)

Anyway. I am happy to push for this till the cows come home. But NI (and maybe you) should start a poll and ask whether or not it is seen to be useful by the people who are studying (i.e needing) the answers and justifications. I have just completed it, so I know it would have been useful if it was there. Instead of us discussing what we think, NI should poll and ask those studying. It seems that NI doesnt care about it. They only do what is seemingly easier for them without proper reasoning.

No university class has ever excelled when told "Nope." Instead, the lecturers and teachers explain WHY its wrong. This isnt giving them the answer. The students still access and have to study, but they understand why what they chose was wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 25
(2,485 Views)

My experience in school is the teacher goes over the process and then let's you fend yourself with the homework.  The practice exam is like the homework.  If you don't understand why you got it wrong, then ask.  If you still don't understand, you shouldn't have the certification anyways.   More experience is required.  The badging process NI is almost ready to release should fill in what you are requesting.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 25
(2,482 Views)

I think they key difference between what I am requesting and what is being said to me is that I dont want the answers to be given. Rather justification why something is wrong. I dont expect the students to be spoon fed, but when they're trying to learn, explaining WHY something is one way rather than another is important. Studying material is fine but when asked certain questions about specific topics, knowing why something is wrong it is an important part of learning and is a step toward understanding topics.

Message 15 of 25
(2,478 Views)

@Muri777 wrote:

Hi again. Thanks for your reply. The wording you use is somewhat confusing (journemen?)

Anyway. I am happy to push for this till the cows come home. But NI (and maybe you) should start a poll and ask whether or not it is seen to be useful by the people who are studying (i.e needing) the answers and justifications. I have just completed it, so I know it would have been useful if it was there. Instead of us discussing what we think, NI should poll and ask those studying. It seems that NI doesnt care about it. They only do what is seemingly easier for them without proper reasoning.

No university class has ever excelled when told "Nope." Instead, the lecturers and teachers explain WHY its wrong. This isnt giving them the answer. The students still access and have to study, but they understand why what they chose was wrong.

The CLAD prep material is the syllabus 

We would be happy to teach

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 25
(2,475 Views)

My 1.44p (at today's exchange rate)

@Muri777 you are correct, if NI wanted people to study for the CLAD then they would need to provide a good deal more preparation material, justifications and support to those studying.  However IMO NI do not want people to study for the CLAD, they want people to use, learn and become proficient in LabVIEW.   Certifications are a gauge of proficiency level.

I would guess by providing preparation material, justifications and support at the current level; NI are attempting to avoid the scenario that someone might be able to pass the CLAD from the prep material alone (plus two or three attempts at the exam).

Steve 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 25
(2,461 Views)

Thats not how people learn. People learn from feedback. It is the reason why it is SO important, at for example university level, the professors to give feedback for everything. NI are going about it the wrong way. If they want people to learn, they will provide feedback. if they want people not to learn and to assume things (for which they can be incorrect) then keep it up.

you guys have all finished the clad a long long time ago. coming from someone who has just done it, i am telling you guys that its better to have justification.it literally makes no sense to not have it.

please poll new students studying. see what they say. because i almost guarantee they will agree with me.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 25
(2,459 Views)

@Muri777 wrote:

Thats not how people learn. People learn from feedback. It is the reason why it is SO important, at for example university level, the professors to give feedback for everything. NI are going about it the wrong way. If they want people to learn, they will provide feedback. if they want people not to learn and to assume things (for which they can be incorrect) then keep it up.

you guys have all finished the clad a long long time ago. coming from someone who has just done it, i am telling you guys that its better to have justification.it literally makes no sense to not have it.

please poll new students studying. see what they say. because i almost guarantee they will agree with me.

And, that is exactly WHY this board exists on the forums.  Ask a specific question.  we will do our best to help you understand.

You need to realize that this board was not spawned in a vacuum, some of us suggested just exactly what you are arguing.  Some of that feedback resulted in new CLAD prep material that leverages the heavy hitters on this board.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 25
(2,455 Views)

Hi all

We heard this request when first made.  Aren't ignoring it as much as watching to see whether the community would express the need, so we know whether a revised prep guide would be useful and where to slot it into our priorities.  So far we haven't heard much support for the idea.  Feedback on the prep material in other locations on the forum has tended to be positive, especially in combination  with the Daily CLAD Blog, which does provide explanations as well as a forum to discuss.  The Prep guide serves as a road map, with the forum and Daily CLAD Blog giving the feedback which is an important part of learning.  

That said, if any have been reading and agreeing but not responded yet, please speak up!  We really do want to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Certification Engineer II
National Instruments

Certified LabVIEW Developer

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 25
(2,448 Views)