Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW reworked CLAD exam - Suggestions for improvement

Hey guys,

I have just started studying for the reworked CLAD exam and I have a few suggestions. The older exam had given justification and reasoning for the correct answers however the new exam does not. This makes it difficult for new comers and people who have just started studying for the exam. It can also be seen as a negative handicap since the older style exams explained in depth. The new paper needs justification so we can learn why some answers are chosen over others.

Sorry if this is not the correct place to post, but if whoever wrote the exam could provide reasoning for each answer that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(7,209 Views)

For those wondering what I mean:

Old practise exam answers:

OLD.PNG

New exam answers:

NEW.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(7,183 Views)

Hi.  This is the perfect place for this question.  

We chose not to provide those justifications because of our concern that doing so would foster a more shallow understanding of LabVIEW.  The ultimate goal of preparing for the CLAD exam is knowing and understanding LabVIEW.  Our thought is that requiring exam preparers to dig into the source materials and open and play with LabVIEW would better serve this goal.  This is especially important because the sample questions are intended to communicate a topic/concept covered.  If anyone finds themselves stumped after a reasonable effort, a post to the forum will provide a much more nuanced and valuable understanding of the issue than what we could provide in a short couple of sentences.  We realize this can be frustrating, but at this point believe it's best -- but please continue to provide feedback.  We might be wrong on this!

Certification Engineer II
National Instruments

Certified LabVIEW Developer

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(7,131 Views)

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. I believe that if a person is completely stumped on a problem, it will take a lot longer for them to come to the answer (which at most cases might be wrong) by having to trawl forums, post questions and wait for replies (most replies of which dont give the answer but try to direct to the correct answer). There is also the case that the answers we come to will not be the correct reason an answer was reached which will cause more problems down the line with LabVIEW understanding.  I understand why NI might want to do it this way but if you compare it to any practice exam (for university for example) the answers and reasons are provided to make it clearer.

I think having it the way it is is counter-intuitive. If the case was worse for providing the answers, not as many people would have passed the old CLAD exam. Not having the answers and reasons why has a negative impact on those of us studying for the exam.

Message 4 of 25
(7,121 Views)

Hi again @Fisel

I have just taken the CLAD exam. I received a score of 72 and cant definitively say that if justification was provided some of the questions would have been easier. I think it is up to the individual to study the material well (as you mentioned it could prove a shallow LV understanding) but it is at the hands of NI to provide reasoning for why some answers are better than others. The amount prepared is on the shoulders of the studying party but the direction provided/reasoning fall on NI.

My 2c.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(7,075 Views)

Congratulations on passing!  

I was hoping for a more lively discussion of preparation practices and the role of justifications to answers asked.  That may yet emerge.  We'll be working with The Daily CLAD as Steve has expressed an interest in providing questions relevant to the revised CLAD.  Those questions will come with justifications, and that is a valuable resource for studying.  With both resources, we're hoping we'll end up with a good balance.  

Best Regards,

Certification Engineer II
National Instruments

Certified LabVIEW Developer

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(7,038 Views)

Hi again

I am happy to provide a more thorough explanation into my thoughts if needed?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(7,030 Views)

@Muri777 wrote:

Hi again

I am happy to provide a more thorough explanation into my thoughts if needed?

Congrats on the pass!

One of the key changes to the CLAD prep Format was the advice in the preface.

"Start with these examples and try them out in the IDE."  It is on the evaluee now to find the justifications by experiment.

OK, Perhaps the png's could actually be snippets but, if you are trying for a CLAD the practice of duplicating the code from blank.vi isn't too much of a burden 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(6,862 Views)

Hi Jeff,

Even having the pngs as snippets, it still doesnt explain why certain answers are better than others.

From a teaching point of view, the direction that NI is taking with the CLAD is completely wrong. People might still pass the exam, but there is less knowledge being passed on because of the lack of justification.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(6,404 Views)

@Muri777 wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Even having the pngs as snippets, it still doesnt explain why certain answers are better than others.

From a teaching point of view, the direction that NI is taking with the CLAD is completely wrong. People might still pass the exam, but there is less knowledge being passed on because of the lack of justification.

I respectfully dissagree.  I do not know what background you have as a teacher but, I believe that the independent study encouraged by the new format should increase the examinees mastery of the material rather than regurgitating wrote fact that had not been internalized .

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(6,399 Views)