Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How stringently are VI Analyzer results used when grading the CLD?

Solved!
Go to solution

Running VI Analyzer is obviously strongly recommended before finishing the CLD exam. I understand that the graders will be referring to its results also when marking the exam. So how many of the failure types count towards the exam, and are there any details on which of them do?

Results such as:

• Enabled debugging - disabling this seems a somewhat unneccessary step for an exam!
  • Connector Pane Pattern - if only 2 terminals are used, in my opinion it's tidier to use a connector pane pattern with fewer terminals, and perhaps it can be argued that this also makes wiring to/ from it slightly easier as the terminals would be bigger
  • Diagram size - a few pixels too wide on the block diagram apparently but I don't see the issue. Is monitor size taken into account? Not sure why this is a failure, as it doesn't cover anywhere near the full size of the screen. Anyway the reference size is user-specified but I haven't changed this so the default is used, presumably the same as when grading.
  • Spell check - seems to only recognise USA spelling
  • Error cluster not wired - same as in the template used
  • Etc.

There are definitely significant benefits to running the VI Analyzer, and it highlighed a few things that had escaped me when I tried it on a sample exam that I know I would be marked down for. I'm sure during the stress of the exam this will be a valuable resource. I was just wondering if anyone with insight here can say how many of the total results need to be addressed, in order to avoid losing points in the CLD marking process.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,203 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DG76

Hi Coral,

Personally I wouldn't mind the warnings in the VI analyzer too much for the CLD exam. Errors though...

• Enabled debugging : good idea to have it while developing and if you forget to remove it at the end, that should be fine.
  • Connector Pane : the 4x2x2x4 connector is just a recommendation by NI, use the one that fits you as long as it does mess with the style. Prefer to keep subVIs square instead of giving them weird shapes.
  • Diagram size : I think that it is something you define yourself in the VI or LabVIEW properties. It is set at 1024x768 by defaults if I remember well. So I wouldn't bother as long as your VI doesn't span over multiple screens and your style is correct.
  • Spell check : exams are given in different languages, they do'nt care about the spelling 😉
  • Error cluster : depends on the behavior intended for your VI. Should be fine.

On thing I would look after maybe and I think it is a warning, is the In Place Element structure. If the VI Analyzer spots it out, try to see if you can implement it.

Pieces of advice :

• If you think that a warning is relevant, try to tackle it.
  • Run the VI Analyzer maybe after 2 or 3 hours, just to check.
  • Do not try to modify everything during the last minutes. Remember : if the VI runs you will likely pass 🙂

Hope that my point is clear. Feel free to ask if not.

CLAMaxime -- Kudos are a great way to say thank you
Message 2 of 4
(3,175 Views)

Ok, so the VI Analyzer results are not strictly all relevant. It's up to the developer to know which ones to take into consideration for the CLD exam, basically. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,171 Views)

The only results that are strictly relevant for me are errors 😉

CLAMaxime -- Kudos are a great way to say thank you
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,165 Views)