From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback on the online CLD experience

Oh! That's fantastic information. I would have considered that option had I understood that this was an acceptable way of taking the test.

One downside would be needing an external webcam/microphone, since the one built into the laptop wouldn't see anything with the cover closed.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 26
(4,414 Views)

Thanks everyone for the Replies.
Yes external webcam would be required, but I have one Smiley Wink

Best Regards,
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Certified Architect
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 26
(4,409 Views)

Great reviews of the CLD online experience. Thank you all very much.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 26
(4,286 Views)

Usage of External monitor is not allowed..

Regards,
Sathish Kumar A
Certified LabVIEW Architect (CLA)
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 26
(4,101 Views)

I used external monitor with laptop lid closed, proctor was fine with it.

Best Regards,
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Certified Architect
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 26
(4,077 Views)

so we can't use quick drop? or CTRL+SHIFT+mouse to move screen? or CTRL+mouse to widen the space in the block diagram? I'm about to have the CLD exam in a few days and I find that very disadvantageous. I also use a 14-inch laptop; if I use an external monitor, I don't have an external camera since the laptop lid has to be closed. So I'll have to use the laptop 14-inch screen to use the laptop camera and microphone.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 26
(3,829 Views)

Just finished my CLD exam. I hope and pray that I pass. I just found out a way to allow the CTRL+ shortcuts. Set Chrome to full screen by pressing F11 then all is okay. At the first 5 minutes, the remote environment was very laggy so it was very difficult to program. But it got better after some time.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 26
(3,794 Views)

I am completely just venting and whining here because my experience is no different than anyone else's (~30 minutes of checking and rechecking everything just to start, constant interruptions from the proctor, only being able to use most of one monitor, etc.) but I hated it. having to constantly toggle back and forth between the instructions and the code completely broke my rhythm. I think they should at the very least update the main vi to include the instructions on the block diagram.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 26
(3,785 Views)

Result came in after 12 days. I passed 🙂

I know I cannot get a copy of the code, but I hope I can clarify some of the comments in the assessment. Comments such as - wires overlapping and some on the functionality not demonstrating specified functionality. I know, I didn't do perfect, but would be nice to clarify. For improvements and learning. Anyway, thank you NI! I can now use the Developer logo 😄

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 26
(3,721 Views)

I took it this morning, and it really wasn't fun. I think because I am someone who does not cheat and is therefore unaware of how or even why to cheat on an exam like this, the security seems like overkill. It took a full 30 minutes to satisfy the proctor which included taking the same photo of my license 3 times, clearing the bed off entirely (I took it in my cluttered spare room which has become more of a giant closet), and panning around the room over and over again. More importantly, I was totally out of my element and uncomfortable pretty much the whole time.

I usually program on a desktop with 2 monitors. I did a couple of the practice exams this way so I could have the PDF on one screen and LV on the other. Oh what luxury! I wound up having to do the exam on a 12.5" laptop screen made even smaller by having to do it through a remote desktop inside a browser. I wish I had thought of making the browser full screen! I thought maybe I could print the PDF and have that next to me, but that would violate the no paper rule. Ugh!

The worst though is my habit of closing VI's with Ctrl+W. Don't do that. Ctrl+E worked and Ctrl+S worked, but Ctrl+W closed the browser. I did this probably 4 or 5 times. Thankfully I was able to get back into the session every time, but the proctor was getting annoyed by repeatedly having to let me back in.

I still finished well under time and I'm pretty confident I'll pass, but boy that would have been much more pleasant if I could have done it on the local desktop of my main PC with my hand on my face while I mutter to myself, my natural state. Oh well, at least it's not something I need to do often!

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 26
(3,582 Views)