From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty string constant in a cluster

Solved!
Go to solution

I think I remember seeing somewhere that you get points deducted for using a general string constant that happens to be empty as opposed to an empty string constant. This might be mentioned in the style guide.

But I just noticed that you can't put an empty string constant in a cluster constant! Only a string constant that is empty.

So if I needed to create a cluster constant of empty strings, would I lose style points for using a string constant with nothing in it rather than an empty string constant? If so, is there a way to do this without losing style points?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,969 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AmandaBacala

I wouldn't worry about that. But, in cases where you do want an empty string, like to clear out an indicator, it is good to use dedicated empty string constant

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,966 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AmandaBacala

The empty string constant isn't really a constant.  Its really a vi similar to this:

Capture.PNG

saved without its block diagram.  That is the reason it won't go in a cluster (and how would you change the string value?)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,784 Views)

Makes sense! Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,770 Views)

If you need to make a cluster constant, other things are much more important:

1. Give each element a descriptive label and show it.
  2. Display the elements in cluster order to avoid surprises (e.g. "arrange vertically").
  3. Give each element a useful default value. (whatever they typically are or even a sentinel string "- empty -", "N/A", "not set", etc.)

This often simplifies the code and is automatically self-documenting, especially if you later always use (un)bundle by name.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,721 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

That is the reason it won't go in a cluster (and how would you change the string value?)

This explanation is incorrect. It is true that the space constant is a VI (for no good reason, really), but primitives such as , EOL, Tab, -Inf, Pi, Ln2, etc. are NOT subVIs but still cannot go into a cluster constant container.

There reason is more general. Clusters cannot contain constants. Period. 😉

(They can contains other stuff such a free labels and decorations, though. :D)

( I guess disallowing constants was a very early design decision and probably not a bad one. Still, constant could be allowed in principle, because they just define a datatype and initial value)

EmptyCluster.png

Message 6 of 6
(6,720 Views)