Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD without current CLAD certifcation

Hi,

I took my CLAD and passed back in Aug 2013 this has now expired and i am looking to take the CLD soon.  Since 2013 my job has been coding with labview.  Will i have to retake the CLAD before the CLD or will my experience (5 years of constant labview coding) allow me to skip this? 

I think i know what the answer will be, but there is no harm in asking in case i am wrong.  I did call NI about this who was suppose to pass my details on to someone who knows and then get back to me, that was a month ago now! and i've been too busy to chase it up.

Thanks     

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,823 Views)

Hi Dave

I have no idea but in case you weren't aware the format of the CLAD changed last year.  You can find a link to the CLAD2017 Preparation guide here

Regards

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,818 Views)

Sorry, but the CLAD is a requirement to take the CLD.  The gateway is there for a reason.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,808 Views)

Thanks,

i wasn't aware it had changed,  The reason for my question is that i was once advised by NI at one of their events that sometimes experience can be used instead of taking the exams, you would have to submit some of your work to prove your self,  i didn't believe this at the time.  looks like i had better get familiar with the new CLAD first.  Has the CLD also changed in line with the CLAD?     

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,792 Views)

@Dave76 wrote:

Has the CLD also changed in line with the CLAD?     

Not yet.  I know NI is looking to update the CLD, but that got pushed back due to other priorities.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,785 Views)

Once your CLD is active, you can by-pass the recertification exams by re-certifying by points.  Policy document is at 

ftp://ftp.ni.com/evaluation/certification/recertification_by_points/recertification_by_points.pdf .  The program applies for CLD and CLA only, so the CLAD hurdle/gate is still in place.  

Best Regards,

Certification Engineer II
National Instruments

Certified LabVIEW Developer

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,767 Views)

Hi,

I guess NI has introduced an option where we can take CLD directly without CLAD. I heard this from my friends. You can check it in NI Website and get confirmation.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,345 Views)

Mail From NI on CLAD

Based on feedback from our customers and the employers who hire them, the Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer (CLAD) certification will no longer be a prerequisite to schedule and take the Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD) exam. Existing CLAD certifications will remain active and NI will continue to offer the CLAD exam to those who wish to take it, but those interested in LabVIEW certification can now start their journey with the CLD.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,319 Views)

Is the passing rate of certification exams published anywhere? I'd be interested to know if the pass rate drops at all when the CLAD is no longer a requirement.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,310 Views)

@Gregory wrote:

Is the passing rate of certification exams published anywhere? I'd be interested to know if the pass rate drops at all when the CLAD is no longer a requirement.

I never heard of them being actually published.  But way back in the day it was common knowledge that about 50% of CLD examinees failed.  There is also a story that when certification was first done, there was a huge push of people to take the CLD.  But a VERY large number of people were taking the CLD that were nowhere close to ready.  That is when NI made the CLAD: to act as a gateway to the CLD exam.

But now days, the CLAD is mostly a joke to anybody remotely serious.  I know a few people who never touched LabVIEW, but took an NI study course for a week at their school and passed.  So as a gateway, it is not very good.

So I think I see NI getting away from the "We need more people certified" to the "We need certification to actually mean something".  I expect the CLD to get harder in the coming years.  Which is a good thing.  I know a few CLDs who are horrible programmers (one doesn't even understand the Event Structure; none of them can even spell OOP).  These people need to be weeded out.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,299 Views)