From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLA Tags - will adding a '#' in front of the tag screw up Requirements Gateway tracking?

I find it useful in the practice exams to add a '#' in front of the tag comment - eg. #[Covers: UI1]

This adds the comment to the bookmarks list so I can easily see and jump to my tags later.

Will adding the # upset the marking? Technically the comment sitll fulfills the requirement as stated in the instructions, but I would hate to flunk out just because RG failed to recognise them! Anyone got any experience of RG or of marking the CLA?

Message 1 of 7
(7,321 Views)

I have used RG, but I think only NI can answer this, because it really depends on how they find the covers tag.  If they wrote it to find a comment, or description that starts with [Covers then it won't find it, if they wrote a proper regular expression then it would find it anywhere.

Now that I think about it you can put more than one covers tag in a single comment so they must have the regular expression written in a way that it would find it, which makes me think it would still find it if you started with a #.

If this does work it is a good tip.

Message 2 of 7
(7,312 Views)

I tested this on RG using the settings with which we grade the CLAs, and it works fine.  You can add the #.  Just make sure you do it OUTSIDE the square brackets.  

Thank you for this tip.  

Certification Engineer II
National Instruments

Certified LabVIEW Developer

Message 3 of 7
(7,245 Views)

Thanks Fisel, good to know for sure 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,230 Views)

Coincidentally, I now prepare a presentation (Germany) touching this special topic.

If you use Covers-Stements only in comments of block diagram, the thing with the # works.

(the # must be before the brackets AND the # must be either at the begin of a comment or preceeded by a space or newline

-> if you would write "#[Covers: A]#[Covers: B]", bookmark manager wouldnt find the second)

Generally, your trick is only useful, when you restrict using your covers-statements only in areas, where they are also

acessible by the bookmark manager.

But in the CLA exam, I find it also useful to make a documentation of front panel elements or fill the documentation

section of a vi and use covers-tags also there -> these wouldn't be found by the bookmark manager.

If you still have enough preparation time, why not install an evaluation version of NIRG and try yourself what is possible?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,026 Views)

Thanks for the extra info, T. I actually sat the exam 2 weeks ago - just waiting on the results now 😕

I used this trick in the exam, but in the end I was so pressed for time that I couldn't make good use of it - ie. I did't have the time to go back over the requirements and check them which is where this would be useful. However, I think using bookmarks like this will be of more use in future projects that have formal requirements specs and will speed up code reviews, validation, etc.

Message 6 of 7
(7,021 Views)

So, I wish you success.

Having some useful tricks or tools for the exam is one good strategy,

but another good strategy is, when this special trick does not work 100% in the exam (due to nervousness etc.),

that you keep in your mind the actual task to be done (to be prepared to pass even without these "useful helpers")

-> when I prepared for CLA two years ago, I tried to use RequirementsGateway as preparation (for checking my sample soulutions)

but as I did something wrong [I didnt know what? - something with spelling?] NIRG didnt analyse my VIs correctly.

So I decided, not to spend too much time on NIRG during preparation but instead "simply" train to develop solution architectures efficiently,

hoping that the covers-tags set in exam will be ok...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,007 Views)