From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLA-R Sample Exam Question 9

Here's the CLA-R practice exam question 9:

You have numerous VIs that use a typedef of a cluster containing several elements, some instances of which use different default values for elements of the cluster in a control or constant. Which of the following edits can be made without resetting the default value of these elements?
a. You can add new elements at any location within the cluster as long as no previously existing element names are changed.
b. You can add new elements to the end of the cluster and you can change the names of previously existing elements.
c. You can modify both the order of elements in the cluster and the names of elements as long as all callers are in memory when the edit is made.
d. You can modify both the order of elements in the cluster and the names of elements in a single edit as long as all callers are not in memory when the edit is made.

According to the Answer Sheet, the answer is "c".  I have tried this in both LV2009 and LV2012: if I re-order the elements in a cluster type def, or change an element name, the default value of instances is totally reset (numerics go to 0, booleans go to FALSE, strings go empty etc.).

Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,874 Views)

Yes, I believe that the correct answer is 'B'. I've run in to this several times in the past when taking this sample exam. 

I have recreated the same experiment that you have and have seen the same results. 

You can only add new elements to the end or rename them. You cannot reorder them or change the data type of any existing element. 

Hope this helps.

Brian G. Shea
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,694 Views)