From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boiler CLD Exam Example - Critique & Comments welcome

Hoping to take the CLD Exam some time in August. Would appreciate comments and feedback on my first attempt at the Boiler example.

I'm not used to using Enums for state machines, so if there were any oddities or problems with my implementation, please let me know.

Message 1 of 5
(6,718 Views)

Your solution looks perfect to me.  You have a very nice architecture and it looks easy to extend if the requirements were to change.  But I'm not one of the graders so it would be nice to have feedback from someone that knows.

Message 2 of 5
(6,701 Views)

Thanks, Todd. Hope you're right!

I realized some people might have trouble opening my version since it is 2011. I have resaved the project as 8.6.

Also attached are some images of the block diagram, to give a basic idea of my coding style.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,680 Views)

Very good design : scalabale and understandable. Were you able to complete in time?

1. While moving to "Prove the Pilot" state you perhaps need to update the flame snesor value in the shift Cluster. This is causing you to log "6/23/2012 12:33:47 PM,Pilot Proved,0.00" when the flame sensor value logged should be more than 30% !

2. For the log "6/23/2012 12:33:33 PM,Pre-Purge Complete,0.00" timer value logged should be more than 10. I think you should not wire the constant 0 there.

3. Documentation : You need to label the wires too. I know its quite evident what the wires carry, but I heard NI deducts points while evaluating and not adding for what you have done, so you might lose some.

**If necessity is the mother of invention, I bet laziness is the father.**
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,645 Views)

Thanks for the review mmoni! Appreciate the feedback.

Yes, I definitely forgot to feed in the Flame Sensor value into the shift cluster. Good call on that and the time constant.

I'll be sure to label the wires on future practice exams - and on the actual CLD exam. Good tip!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,644 Views)