CU Boulder Labview

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted

What is the difference between ENUM and RING?

Since I missed last week's session, I don't know if you guys went over this. Someone asked this question the week before last week's session.

I made some VIs to figure this out and noticed that with ENUM, the cases you entered are assigned a number. E.g., if you had "apple", "orange", and "pinapple" as your cases, then in LabVIEW, these were assigned 0, 1, and 2 respectively. With RING, the cases were left as they were, so with the same list as above, LabVIEW would store the cases as strings since they were strings. If we had our cases to be numbers like 4, 5, and 6, then it would store it as such with RING, while with ENUM, 4, 5, and 6 would be assigned 0, 1, and 2.

I don't know if what I wrote here is clear and correct, but that's what I've discovered. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,227 Views)
1 REPLY

Re: What is the difference between ENUM and RING?

You are correct. Also, with Rings, you can change the number associated with the string. So instead of "0,1,2" like with an Enum, you could change that to "5,2,7".

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,035 Views)
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.