From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

CSLUG - Central South LabVIEW User Group (UK)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meeting March 22 2016

Hi Nick,

It's part of a plan to actually step outside the world of LabVIEW and look at some other issues, this particular area is mainly aimed at the software business and contracting side of things. One area that is changing (changed) is limited company law and Gregs wife has kindly (been) volunteered to update us.

Similarly we're weak as an industry with regards contract law, i.e. what to do when things go wrong and how you can protect yourself. This is something that we could really get up to speed with.

Again it might not be interesting to people who are permanent employees and want to stay in perm employment, but I think there's enough of us that would take value from this.

Steve

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Message 11 of 32
(1,682 Views)

Sounds great to me. Something I did at CLUG was introduce software engineering topics, not specifically LV stuff, they were quite popular. The legal aspects were something we didn't ever get into, so I'm keen to listen in on this broadcast.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 32
(1,682 Views)

Thanks Steve, certainly sounds like an interesting and useful subject.

Fingers crossed i`ll get the time to come over for this meet.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 32
(1,682 Views)

On a similar note I'm going to do something on ISO9001 and our business at some point in the year,

I think standards and process is where most benefits can be attained pushing us onward.

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 32
(1,682 Views)

Hi Steve , i am looking to attend , being focused on Business Development , commercial aspects/ supplier set up  and contracts (T&C's) is a key area so be great to get some further insight  & expertise into this side . Matt

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 32
(1,682 Views)

One area that is changing (changed) is limited company law and Gregs wife has kindly (been) volunteered to update us.

As someone who is self-employed and considering becoming a limited company, this is particularly interesting to me.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 32
(1,682 Views)

Hi Steve

I'll try to make it too, sound like interesting topics are being added already.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 32
(1,682 Views)

March 22nd in my diary - planning to be there

Andrew Sedden

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 32
(1,682 Views)

swatts wrote:

Anyone needs to trial some of their presentations for the e-CLA summit.

I could probably use the practice.   I'm presenting this at the eCLA (and have done nothing on it yet beyond write the abstract):

Lessons of the subVI call in asynchronous programming:

A common way of modular programming is to have many parallel loops interacting via asynchronous message passing.  This is in many ways more powerful and flexible than architectures based solely on synchronous subVI calls.  Yet there are valuable features of "a call" that are easily neglected when we start doing thing asynchronously.  I will be using the "Continuous Measurement and Logging" sample project that ships with LabVIEW to illustrate some of these issues (though the same lessons apply to all "actors", "QSMs", "Producer-Consumers", etc.).

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 32
(1,682 Views)

Afraid I have client work this time around and can't make it 😞

Enjoy!

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 32
(1,682 Views)