CSLUG - Central South LabVIEW User Group (UK)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meeting 31 March 2020

Hello Everyone,

I'm pleased to say I've got registration figured out so you can now register for the next CSLUG on 31st March here!

Lined up is:

• Fabiola De La Ceuva from Delacor is in the UK - she will be talking about about her new book and signing copies. If there is something you want to here more about from her book let us know!
  • Chris Woodhams from Argenta is making the trip south to talk about what they do at Argenta to make projects successful and have a discussion to compare notes with everyone else.

Registration now is through eventbrite now and you have an option to sign up to receive emails about future details too.

NI are sponsoring food so make sure you sign up to make sure we have some food for you!

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
Message 1 of 14
(6,122 Views)

As you can imagine the pesky outside world is messing with our user group.

Fabiola is no longer going to join us this month - instead, we will be having her back in September instead (and that meeting will be moved to 19th to fit with her travel). I'm excited we can still get her in person.

For this month, I think we still plan on having it in person if possible,  but keep an eye on the news. If the recommendation is for remote work then we can move to a remote user group instead. (I'll be honest, I think this is very likely)

So if you are interested:

1. Still register here so we can share the remote connection details. We may have a limit on the numbers if we go remote so I'll share them first with anyone who has registered.
  2. We will need some more presenters - if you have a topic (that would work remotely too 🙂 ) then let me know below.
James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(5,985 Views)

Hi All,

Unsurprisingly with the progression I think it is best to just start planning for a remote user group. What I'm thinking is:

• I can host through my zoom account. It will treat it as a video call but can have up to 100 participants. We just need to be diligent with muting mics when not in use.
  • Probably just move the start back to 12.30 so people can grab lunch first - for the real effect you can just eat while you watch 🙂
  • I expect aim for just two presentations up to 45m with a 10m break in the middle. Time for discussion at the end so move it to around 2hrs.
  • Chris Woodham's presentation is intended to be very interactive - so we will cancel for this one and plan to get him to join us in June instead.

With that in place, we still need presenters. If no-one else comes forward I can talk a bit about CI and command lines.

Does anyone else have anything in mind? Perhaps something that was due at the CLA summit that isn't happening?

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,898 Views)

I could do a show and tell on a system I'm doing for a Tow Tank. 

It's a "pretty simple" DAQ system, made more challenging by some difficult UI requirements.

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Message 4 of 14
(5,888 Views)

Hi James, 

If you're struggling for presentations I'm considering putting my head above the parapet and doing some presenting this year (even though it is something that  truly terrifies me!). I put a brief presentation together (probably ~15mins) on using Atlassian Bamboo CI tools with LabVIEW which I was originally going to submit for the CLA Summit in Krakow last year.

I could polish it up and present that if you're still looking. It might be interesting to compare Atlassian Bamboo with how you've done things with your CI stuff.

I'm not using your CLI tool for this (G-CLI), am using the NI version instead, but am using G-CLI for a whole raft of System Validation applications I've developed so could also potentially present something very ad-hoc on those.

David Clark
CLA | CTA
IDEX Biometrics UK Ltd
Hampshire, England
Message 5 of 14
(5,834 Views)

Hi David,

Sounds great - I'll take you up on that offer. 15mins will work nicely.

If anyone else has anything - please let me know by the end of the week and I'll put the agenda out on Monday.

Cheers,
James

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(5,800 Views)

Hi James,

I may have to abort this before I've even thought about committing to it as with all of the kids now off school I certainly wouldn't be able to attend in person, and it's questionable whether remoting in would be feasible as well.

When is the next meeting scheduled? I'd still love to present this, and tie up with what you've done.

Dave

David Clark
CLA | CTA
IDEX Biometrics UK Ltd
Hampshire, England
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,732 Views)

Hi James (and everyone)

I can potentially to a 15-20 min walk-through of what I was going to present on at NI week - I've combined QControls, DQMH and the MGI Panel toolkit to make modular, pop-up/subpanelable (that is a word, no really) UI elements... Combined with a neat tool (I think) for adding graphic overlays to the built in graph controls (which is made even better by QControls compared with how I'd done it before).

Let me know if you need it, and assuming I can just share my screen, I'll literally just show the code and walk through the ideas and reasons...

Thanks

Paul

Paul

Message 8 of 14
(5,728 Views)

Thanks everyone - I shall take everyone up on their offers!

So the agenda will be (all approximate!):

12.30 - 12.45: Paul Morris - QControls, DQMH and the MGI Panel toolkit - walk through

12.50 - 13.10: Steve Watts - TowTank UI Walkthrough

13.10 - 13.20: 10 minute break

13.20 - 14.00: James McNally - Automating Development Tasks: CLI and CI

I'm going to set this up as a zoom meeting. I'll put the link and guidance up closer to the time.

Cheers,

James

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,677 Views)

Do we have a link for the remote meeting?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(5,587 Views)