[IDLE] CLUG : Cambridge LabVIEW User Group (UK)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telnet - how do I do this in LabVIEW 2014

The Internet toolkit was depreciated in LabVIEW 2012. The Internet toolkit included Telnet functionality. There is no Telnet functionality in LabVIEW 2014.

Does anyone have a solution for this ?

One suggestion from NI Support Desk was to copy the 2012 Internet files, open them in 2014, resave and then use them. But this will be unsupported and have all of the original faults and problems.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(23,371 Views)

Hey something I can answer 

I have been using LabVIEW and Telnet for many years now, I use Telnet as the main control interface for the UUT's I work on. Until about a year ago I was using the LabVIEW Internet Toolkit.

I was very unhappy, at the time, that NI stopped supporting the toolkit rather than improve and fix some of iits bugs.  I can confirm that NI's suggestion of dropping the 2012 Toolkit files into the 2014 directory and a resave will work.

But I found a much better way to do this is to simply use VISA TCP. We have an internal libray that uses a basic low level VISA open to open at TCP connection to a port and IP address and simple VISA read and writes thereafter.

There is one GREAT benefit using VISA commands, VISA is non-blocking, unlike the Internet Toolkit. So I can now communicate to multiple UUT's in parallel and have made some significant test time savings. To be honest I find the whole telnet comms issue much cleaners and easier having dropped the toolkit.

Might be worth reading this as well.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Deprecation-of-Internet-ToolKit-so-no-more-Telnet-support/td-p/23815...

Danny Thomson AshVire Ltd
Message 2 of 9
(20,439 Views)

danny t

Do you have an example? I've downloaded the 2012 toolkit but if there's a simpler solution that would be great.

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(20,439 Views)

Hi Michael,

There is a limit I can share but the basic connect is shown below, once connected I do a VISA read to look for a string  "login" I can reply with a username then read for string "password" again reply with a VISA write and if all is well I will get my prompt.

Hope this help a little

visa-telnet.PNG

visa -telnet 2.PNG

Danny Thomson AshVire Ltd
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(20,439 Views)

mebels_cti was looking for an example so I have created one containing both TCP and Telnet implementations

Telnet vs TCP.png

Both these blocks creatre a simple Telnet style connection to a Telnet Server

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(20,439 Views)

Thanks Steve and Danny. I got my project going using the 2012 Internet add ons. Will try this approach later though. thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(20,439 Views)

@mebels_meta wrote:

I've downloaded the 2012 toolkit

Hi Michael,

Could you post the link?!

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(17,915 Views)

@SteveE wrote:

I have created one containing both TCP and Telnet implementations

Telnet vs TCP.png

Both these blocks creatre a simple Telnet style connection to a Telnet Server

Hi Steve,

Could you post these VIs here for LV 2016 or earlier?!

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(17,914 Views)

Lavag cross post to anyone that needs a better "out of the box" solution.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(10,133 Views)