British Columbia LabVIEW User Group Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BC LabVIEW User Group Future Topics and Activities

Thanks to all for sharing your ideas for possible topics in the future.

List of Possible Topics: (New items added).

As mentioned during the meeting, volunteering yourself is free of charge and you will get a free 'genuine applause' (appreciation for sharing your ideas) from your co-LabVIEW users.

For those who are interested, please send me an e-mail: mpanganiban@synovus.ca

1. Graphical User Interface (MP's Approach)

This is a presentation I created a couple of years ago and I find it useful after sharing it with my colleagues.

The main focus of this presentation is on the technicality of a UI (i.e. Its purpose, standardization, where to put what, alignment, basic things we usually forget to consider that has a great impact with your desing, etc.). This is not a guideline to create a fancy-looking UI but to create a decent and professionally-looking one instead.

2. Toddler's LVOOP

From the title itself, I would like to see a higher-level LVOOP presentation in BC LabVIEW User Group meeting. This would really help other developers that have not used it yet or have not used it frequently.

I have no idea how to discuss it in 30mins (I guess that's the challenge here).

3. Inter-Process Communication of Asynchronous VIs

There is a lot of available APIs (user event, FGV, queues, notifier, etc.) that we can use to communicate each VI but I think it would be helpful if we can share ideas what are the best approach for different scenarios.

4. LabVIEW Real-Time Application

It is also nice to have this discussion so we can have an idea or more ideas how LabVIEW behaves when running in a Real-Time operating system. This could also help others who are currently developing deterministic application.

5. Vision System

6. Custom probes and advanced debugging techniques

7. Overcoming Queued message handler architecture biggest problem: Ensuring correct order of execution

(this would present how/why to get from "JKI state machine" type architecture to "Top Level Baseline's" idea introduced by an NI engineer many year ago

8. How to easily and quickly parallelize code execution using "daemons" and "clones".

9. Bit Banging - Low-level technique

10. Unit Test Framework / JKI Unit Test

Cheers,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 25
(4,100 Views)

Hi Michael,

I like that list! Those that interest me the most would be 1, 3, 6, and 7.  I could possibly present on either 10 or 2... not sure about for the next meeting (likely won't have time to prepare due to upcomming deadline at work), but if not then likely the next one.

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 25
(4,100 Views)

Hi Michael,

I like item 9: SPI, I2C ... that John proposed

Laurent

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 25
(4,100 Views)

Calling all volunteers for our next LVUG meeting!

How's everyone? I guess everybody's busy and I think it's very typical during the 1st and 2nd quarters of the year.

Being busy is good, it means we can have something to share (new LabVIEW learning/project/experience).

Please feel free to e-mail me or reply to this thread if you are willing to present and share something on the next meeting.

You can also post the topic(s) that you like to be discussed.

Best,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 25
(4,100 Views)

Howdie,

Hope everybody's doing great.

Been offline for a while but it's also a good thing that I can share new and exciting things.

I am excited to meet up again this coming September to learn from everybody and I am still looking for volunteers to deliver presentation.

Who's up for the challenge? Let me know. As a summary for possible topics:

Note: I added a couple of topics that I think might be interesting to share. If you have other ideas that you want to see or present (cross-finger), let me know.

1. Graphical User Interface (MP's Approach)

This is a presentation I created a couple of years ago and I find it useful after sharing it with my colleagues.

The main focus of this presentation is on the technicality of a UI (i.e. Its purpose, standardization, where to put what, alignment, basic things we usually forget to consider that has a great impact with your desing, etc.). This is not a guideline to create a fancy-looking UI but to create a decent and professionally-looking one instead.

2. Toddler's LVOOP

From the title itself, I would like to see a higher-level LVOOP presentation in BC LabVIEW User Group meeting. This would really help other developers that have not used it yet or have not used it frequently.

I have no idea how to discuss it in 30mins (I guess that's the challenge here).

3. Inter-Process Communication of Asynchronous VIs

There is a lot of available APIs (user event, FGV, queues, notifier, etc.) that we can use to communicate each VI but I think it would be helpful if we can share ideas what are the best approach for different scenarios.

4. LabVIEW Real-Time Application

It is also nice to have this discussion so we can have an idea or more ideas how LabVIEW behaves when running in a Real-Time operating system. This could also help others who are currently developing deterministic application.

5. Vision System

6. Custom probes and advanced debugging techniques

7. Overcoming Queued message handler architecture biggest problem: Ensuring correct order of execution

(this would present how/why to get from "JKI state machine" type architecture to "Top Level Baseline's" idea introduced by an NI engineer many year ago

8. How to easily and quickly parallelize code execution using "daemons" and "clones".

9. Bit Banging - Low-level technique

10. Unit Test Framework / JKI Unit Test

11. IoT (Internet of Things) in LabVIEW

12. Integrating C/C++ and Python in LabVIEW

All the best,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 25
(4,101 Views)

Hey Guys,

Follow up for volunteers in presenting.

On the side note, I am planning to echo(my own version and exploration) one of the topics I attended at NI Week (IoT (Internet of Things in LabVIEW) if you are interested to hear about it. Otherwise, you can suggest one of the topics from this post.

You can also send me directly if you have any questions.

All the best,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 25
(4,101 Views)

Is there any example available for data mining e.g. detecting patterns in data?

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 25
(4,101 Views)

As a beginner / intermediate topic I could present if there is some interest: Advantages and caveats of Timed loops in LabVIEW. (I recently had to fence with them and gained lots of insights I'd be happy to share).

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 25
(4,101 Views)

Hi Pezh,

The way we choose the topic is kind of subjective. Sharing ideas is very helpful for us to decide what to present (quarterly) during the meeting.

Data analysis could be a good one and I have not seen one (or related) in the list. I will add this to the list for sure and hopefully there will be volunteers to deliver a presentation.

To share some ideas, there is a lot of libraries available in LabVIEW that are capable of processing data for analysis.

There are also other toolkits (e.g. Diadem) that we can take advantage of.

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 25
(4,101 Views)

Hi Manu,

Thanks for this. Definitely, Timed loops is a great topic.

We also recently experienced something about timed loops and would be happy to hear more from others' experience.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 25
(4,101 Views)