BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spambots again

Yeah, but this one actually marked a second post as a solution: http://forums.ni.com/t5/Version-Conversion/in-King-09914780505-CaLL-Gi%E2%84%9Bl-In-Chandigarh-CaLL-...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 71 of 195
(4,569 Views)

I see your solutions...

solutions.PNG

... and raise you some tags.

tags.PNG

Would be nice to see something done.

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 72 of 195
(4,552 Views)

NI needs to stop this. This can't be good for NI's reputation. 
It will help to limit the possibility's of new users and to have mods online at all times. Especially when there are those spam storms as now.

And trust me if I am looking for a new program and I find the official support forums a mess like this I am going to search on. 

Learning LabVIEW since January 2013
0 Kudos
Message 73 of 195
(4,551 Views)

"Hey. Peter. What's happening? I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday. We've got spammers and our customers are getting a little irritated and we need weekend coverage. So come in on Saturday, OK? That would be great."

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 74 of 195
(4,521 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

"Hey. Peter. What's happening? I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday. We've got spammers and our customers are getting a little irritated and we need weekend coverage. So come in on Saturday, OK? That would be great."

That's not unreasonable.  How about this?

"Hey, Peter.  Write a cron job that queries the forums for multiple, similar posts by one user then deletes them (posts and user).  You have until Friday to complete it or you'll have to come in over the weekend and manually clean up the mess.  This has gone on too long.  Kthxbye."

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 75 of 195
(4,512 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

"Hey. Peter. What's happening? I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday.

This is the time of the internet, so nobody "needs to come in". If Lithium provides adequate moderation tools, a spammer can be nuked within seconds from any smart phone.

The main reason they currently come back is the fact that the posts stay up for hours, especially on nights and weekends. If the spam half-life would be minutes instead, they would give up quickly because there is nothing to be gained.

Ideally, questionable posts (e.g. posts by new users with links,  second posts within minutes of the first posts by new users, etc.)  should be held in a moderation queue and should only appear to the public once approved by a moderator or other established users The moderation queue could be visible to all users that are active and above (and in good standing) and they should be able to simply click a button to either approve the post or mark it as spam. poof!

Message 76 of 195
(4,531 Views)

@altenbach wrote:
[..] If the spam half-life would be minutes instead, they would give up quickly because there is nothing to be gained.[...]

I am wondering if those spams do gain ANYTHING for the poster except annoyance from the forum visitors..... Or is really ANYONE so STUPID (not to say "retarded") to fall into those spams???????

Well, nevertheless you are correct that the way the moderators handle that situation lacks of professionalism......

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 77 of 195
(4,482 Views)

One of the downsides of the spam is that when I get to work and wish to spend five minutes procrastinating by browsing threads in the main LV board in order to see if I can be of some help, I'm immediately put off by the swathes of posts about certain services - such as this morning's candidate.

Downside for me, certainly - probably better for my productivity for my employer!

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 78 of 195
(4,478 Views)

thoult wrote:[...]

Downside for me, certainly - probably better for my productivity for my employer!

Soooooooo, are you sure your employer is NOT called "deepak701"?????

😉

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 79 of 195
(4,461 Views)

and thy are back.

Learning LabVIEW since January 2013
0 Kudos
Message 80 of 195
(4,400 Views)