BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spambots again

@PaulG. wrote:

You know, if society started going medieval on spammers (like cutting off a mouse finger for the first infraction) we might see these problems slowly go away. Smiley Tongue

I kind of like the idea of hunting them down and shooting them.  The world is over crowded anyways, right?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 41 of 195
(7,160 Views)

Personally I do not mind the spambots, it is a small price to pay for the current focus on blocking VIs from the attachments.  Now those were really annoying and have no place around here....

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 195
(7,126 Views)

The spammer is back. The spamfilter should remove posts with topics containing characters other than A-Z and 0-9. I think the spammer just attacks the biggest forums like LabVIEW and maybe a couple others. In the foreign forums the filter should accept characters other than A-Z and 0-9, because the spammer is more unlikely to attack there.

There should also be a check for user posts that has similar topics from the same user within a certain period of time. It would reduse double posting and it will make spambots less afficient.

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
0 Kudos
Message 43 of 195
(7,076 Views)

At least the subjects of the posts are consistent; it's easy to skip over them and find the real content.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 195
(7,073 Views)

And now they decided to hit the Version Conversion board...

Seriously, is there anything we can do to help you, NI?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 45 of 195
(7,008 Views)

So, what's the reason for these spammers to even post here serially? Nobody in his right mind looking for e_scort (yes, the real word seem to be a drop word) services would go to a techical discussion forum, right? The only reason is typically to increase visibility to search engine bots that rank sites by the number of links or number of mentions in more popular sites. I frankly don't see how this works with these recent mumbai spams. The titles and posts are so obfuscated that there is no real common pattern. Is there some hidden, nonprintable text? I have not inspected the actual post code....

In any case, to make this site here less attractive to spammers, there needs to be a mechanism that these posts cannot stay up for hours (as they currently do! :(), they need to disappear within minutes of posting. The only way to do this is to have an army of trusted volunteers that can hide spam posts on sight and block these users from posting. (I trust that creation of a new user account is somewhat of a barrier, involvong e-mail verification and such)   The forum is open 24/7, so these volunteers need to cover all time zones relatively densely.

Message 46 of 195
(6,977 Views)

How about a new topic limit related to time registered, time of last new topic?  Two or three new topics per day?

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 47 of 195
(6,946 Views)

If I was a spammer looking for a challenge, I would spam the heck out of some engineering-type forums. All the good ideas for suppression could beef up my spam-unit tests for the future. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 195
(6,914 Views)

How about a new topic limit related to time registered, time of last new topic?  Two or three new topics per day?

Or just for topic creation over the limit of maybe 2? Captcha, most bots hate those.

Luckely he isn't spamming the original topics that are created.

Hope this won't change in the future though....

---

UnCertified LabVIEW Student
Mistakes are for learning, that's why suggestions are always welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 49 of 195
(6,887 Views)

Why don't we just flag this as a problem with the Actor Framework? That would get someone's attention. Smiley Indifferent

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 50 of 195
(6,864 Views)