BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spambots again

Obviously, the forum defenses are not working. I already reported these, so they will be cleaned up in the morning.

I guess the posting rate indicates that a throttling to one post per minute exists. That's not enough.

Clearly, lithium needs to improve here. Hopefully they are collecting enough forensic evidence to track down what is happening.

In any case, there needs to be a 24/7 moderator presence. They seem to exploit the time after midnight in Austin where nobody seems to be watching. There is a need for at least 50-100 users with limited moderation privileges (hide all posts from a new user and temporary ban user from posting. Actually, the spammers should still be able to post as much as they want, but the posts won't show up. Keep them busy ;)).

They also seem to add spam tags for these posts. These tags should be cleaned up too and added to a detection list.

(There are still also more subtle spammers, such as this one)

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 195
(7,028 Views)

Hi,

I totally agree on the "24/7 moderator presence"!

When NI is hosting this forum they should also moderate it at all times. It's a shame when there are spammers active at the weekend or at Austin/TX night times. Here in Europe the forum is flooded with SPAM the whole morning...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 195
(7,020 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

(There are still also more subtle spammers, such as @clubpenza)

Phew.  I followed that link hoping it wouldn't point to my user..... Survived that one!

NI needs a better defence for this.  I'm no expert but the posts seem to stand out as spam right off the bat.  Of course what seems clear to a person is not always clear to a program, that much I do know.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 195
(7,011 Views)

Hi Intaris,

well, 10 years ago I used SPAM filters (using some BAYES filters) in my email program: those were able to identify SPAM either using some predefined filters or after "forced learning" by just one or two example mails.

So I think setting up a SPAM filter should be very easy, atleast for those SPAM we encounter these days in the forum!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 195
(6,997 Views)

But then how intelligent do you want it to be?

I mean, you'd want it to remove posts from a single user posting the same message again and again. You'd also want to remove posts from multiple users which contain the exact same content. But then you'd also want to remove posts from multiple users with ever-so-slightly different content.

Soon, no spam. But also, no repeat questions asking for the same info on the same piece of homework from a single LabVIEW class on how to control a thermostat/flood-gate* (delete as applicable.

Wait, did I make that sound like a bad thing? Smiley LOL

---
CLA
Message 15 of 195
(6,993 Views)

It could honestly remove about half of my posts so maybe I'd better be quiet....

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 195
(6,992 Views)

Well,  The community has demonstrated an ability to self direct.  a few trusted users willing to exercise judgement would be right in keeping with the forums intent. 

IN FACT, I would bet a core of forum participants could exercise the judgment needed.  1 caveat:  no anti-bots, lets keep the users mind in the loop.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 195
(6,975 Views)

I've just finished reading David Mitchell's excellent novel Ghostwritten, and the idea of a sentient learning spam bot reminds me of the Zookeeper.

Think Skynet but with a personality.

Are all the board mods Austin based then? There must be somebody in Newbury etc who they could devolve a little power to, if they haven't already.

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 195
(6,966 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Obviously, the forum defenses are not working. I already reported these, so they will be cleaned up in the morning.

Obviously, it takes longer than expected. They are all still here (9:45 am Austin time), hours after the posting stopped. 😞

So, let's see: 150 posts in under 5 hours. three new tags. Posts differ by one word.

Signal processing has given us fancy tools to determine the similarity of signals. It should be easy to define a similarity score here. We could convert the posts to binary and look at the cross correlation peak. 😄

I think it would be best to let a spammer (once identified) keep posting, but keep the posts only visible to him. This way he thinks its still "working" while the forum remains clean for the rest of us.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 195
(6,964 Views)

Continues with this guy now. 😞

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 195
(6,951 Views)