BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"What Software Developers Do When They Are Not Developing Software".

Retirement has allowed me to spend time on other projects besides digging out a basement. And until the free version of LabVIEW comes out, I have plenty of time "when I am not developing software.

The Wife has directed me to work on The Hobbit Holes she always wanted.

She wants one of these.

Spoiler

Stairs 7e.jpg

I have been using cardboard to mock-up different ideas since that is a lot easier re-do than concrete 2X4's and drywall. We have settled on the curve steps but that corner with the water heater and furnace is still in flux. I need to maintain access to both of those but need to cover them with something that will fit in a Hobbit Hole. Probably a roll-out book case. That cardboard tree will most likely not make the final cut. While it is an actual template of a tree I have been pruning for years, it would complicate me supporting the house and would be awkward to build book shelves around it.

The cove ceiling has been fun and challenging!

20200123_145210[1].jpg

20200123_145229[1].jpg

And since we a nice day for a change, I was able to do some work in the woods today that got me thinking about an improvement to the Ram Pump installation.

Possible performance improvement and upgrade to spring water instead of ground water.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 121 of 141
(5,164 Views)

I have started to figure out how to edit video and make them shorter.

This one is a sped up progress video of the dig.

Spoiler

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 122 of 141
(5,125 Views)

Ben,

For tightly curved ceilings, or those that go into directions that drywall does not want to go, use 1/4 plywood.  Cut "ribs" and screw them into place.  Use drywall "90" to fill the gaps and then start layering the "90" for the rough mudding.  Only after you build up 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick do you go to the normal stuff..  

It's a lot of work, but it will look great.  If the curved ceilings / wall, have a reasonable radius, also use 1/4 in drywall instead of the 1/2.  Wetting the back also help, but go very slowly so that you do not break it or drill through it as you mount the pieces in place.

Message 123 of 141
(5,097 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

Ben,

For tightly curved ceilings, or those that go into directions that drywall does not want to go, use 1/4 plywood.  Cut "ribs" and screw them into place.  Use drywall "90" to fill the gaps and then start layering the "90" for the rough mudding.  Only after you build up 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick do you go to the normal stuff..  

It's a lot of work, but it will look great.  If the curved ceilings / wall, have a reasonable radius, also use 1/4 in drywall instead of the 1/2.  Wetting the back also help, but go very slowly so that you do not break it or drill through it as you mount the pieces in place.

Thanks for the info Ray.

I used the "flexible 1/4" drywall for what did two years ago.

20200310_151624_HDR[1].jpg

The first 1/4"layer went up nice after wetting it but the second layer suffered from me not waiting long enough to soften up. I have considered building a cradle that I can use to soften the drywall before the install. Wet it down and let it sit over-night. But that is just a pipe-dream for now.

I have been splitting my time between that Hobbit Hole project and the Basement excavation as directed by the weather. I managed to get about halfway through the drainage ditches yesterday.

Spoiler

Suggestion:

If you are trying to isolate yourself from possible virus contamination, I suggest digging out a basement by hand. Between the hard work, and mud, isolation is a no-brainer. (smiley-wink)

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 124 of 141
(5,052 Views)

If I have to be isolated due to the virus, I might as well make some progress with that basement I have been working.

I turned the corner yesterday in that instead of removing shale and mud for the drainage needs I am now putting stuff IN.

Spoiler

Aside from lifting bucket into a cart and then onto the trolley gravity is now working on my side. I have other day of running drainage pipe and gravel back-fill before I start building the forms for the footers.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 125 of 141
(5,017 Views)

Heavy rain was predicted today so instead of working in the muddy hole, I opted to work in the nice dry Hobbit Hole.

Spoiler

My better-half observed "you spend a lot of time in basements digging don'y you?

Well, yes

Reminds of one of my father's quotes;

"Rayners do not pump iron. We dig dirt."

And one my own based on an old Shoe comic strip.

"Digging out basements is a lot like cigars. They are good for crowd control."

Living a dream,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 126 of 141
(5,047 Views)

My better-half has been working from home in out basement office. Spending multiple weeks in a basement is not easy. I suspect those that are in some urban areas could use a "virtual visit to pond with a small waterfall.

Below you will find an ASMR video that will let you spend a half hour sitting next a pond.

Spoiler

In case you need, I i hope it helps maintain some sanity.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 127 of 141
(5,012 Views)

Give "slow TV" a try on YouTube @Ben. This example lasts 7 hours:

https://youtu.be/BlVJviK0ci4

David C
Message 128 of 141
(5,000 Views)

@AustinManinTown wrote:

Give "slow TV" a try on YouTube @Ben. This example lasts 7 hours:

https://youtu.be/BlVJviK0ci4

YouTube is actually now blocked at my company due to so many people working from home.  VPNs are hitting the network pretty hard, so high bandwidth sites are now blocked.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 129 of 141
(4,984 Views)

I hope everyone is doing well.  I'm also catching up on house projects.  I may even have time to send code to Putnam.... from last fall...  LOL!

Message 130 of 141
(4,932 Views)