BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"What Software Developers Do When They Are Not Developing Software".

@altenbach wrote:

@Ben wrote:

Last night I spotted a dragonfly

The PID for the stationary flight control needs a little bit of tuning. Still impressive for a few neurons. 😄

We have to take into consideration the viscosity of the air for critters that small. Like flying in molasses or something similar.

It believe it was "Not a Tame Lion" that pointed that out when he was working with the group that does MAVs for the US Air Force.

Spoiler

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 91 of 141
(6,275 Views)

Most predator eyes are most sensitive to motion, so super stationary flight is a matter of survival (and thus natural selection). If you don't appear to move, they cannot see you!

0 Kudos
Message 92 of 141
(6,270 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Most predator eyes are most sensitive to motion, so super stationary flight is a matter of survival (and thus natural selection). If you don't appear to move, they cannot see you!

There are quite a few deer that demonstrate that same behavior when I walk up and surprise them ... [and when the find themselves in the headlights of a car.]

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 93 of 141
(6,268 Views)

Spend the hole weekend at the Maker Faire in Hannover, Germany

Ruined my back and my voice 😞 and met a bunch of interesting people 🙂 🙂

.. mostly voltnuts..  no wonder since we offered free calibration service .. traceable to PTB  😄

HP_vs._Agilent

We*  had a Fluke 5700 and a HP 3458 ... and had a 'shout box' measuring the sound pressure level (traceable, but not at 1 m .. more 20 cm 😉   most of the childs reached 120 dB(A) (a jet engine) and a young woman reached 137.2 dB(A) .. that's a weapon !  A rocket launch is about140 dB(a) ...

Not accidental, we had some friends of old gages as neighbors, where I saw the most beatiful DMM numerical indicator

IMG_20190818_083342

... not the top one, that's standard nixi ,  the lower one!  Greetings from Goldfinger 😉   And it has a build in Weston-element reference! (and a shopper with neon bulbs and 4 LDR's)

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 94 of 141
(6,232 Views)

I like to play chess online.  I joined a league in the past year and started winning a few games (after losing every game in my first season).  Today I had my most mis-matched victory ever; my opponent was rated 1719 versus me at 1286 - https://lichess.org/J3G2cu0g.  Statistically, I should lose that game (almost) every time.

furrykef.jpg

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 95 of 141
(6,208 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

I like to play chess...

furrykef.jpg

I used to play chess when I was in the Navy. Another sailor was from NY city where he played in the park and was rated. He used to kill me every time we played. But one day I was disappointed when he said he had to stop playing against me because playing me, he was loosing his edge.

Smiley Sad

I tried to get my eldest g-daughter to learn how to play checkers and she lost interest in about three moves. Seems checkers is no competition for video games. She did not even want to get started with chess.

Ben

Message 96 of 141
(6,196 Views)

@Ben wrote:

But one day I was disappointed when he said he had to stop playing against me because playing me, he was loosing his edge.

Perhaps he should have given you odds.  I wonder if he could have beaten you with his queen off the board.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 97 of 141
(6,165 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

@Ben wrote:

But one day I was disappointed when he said he had to stop playing against me because playing me, he was loosing his edge.

Perhaps he should have given you odds.  I wonder if he could have beaten you with his queen off the board.

That is actually how I started 6 chilren on chess.  12 pts you pick!  Beat me the count decrememts. 

4 out of the 6 play well.... I have lost my edge.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 98 of 141
(6,124 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@jcarmody wrote:

@Ben wrote:

That is actually how I started 6 chilren on chess.  12 pts you pick!  Beat me the count decrememts. 

4 out of the 6 play well.... I have lost my edge.

I used to be devistating with my Knights.  I may have played too many matches without one knight (3 pts) or more.  It does shift a players focus towards capitalizing on the other players mistakes playing from behind all the time.  That is not really a winning strategy when playing an experienced player.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 99 of 141
(6,052 Views)

I'm getting past the point where I inadvertently give my opponent odds. 😄

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 100 of 141
(6,034 Views)