BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"What Software Developers Do When They Are Not Developing Software".

And now for something completely different. 

On very rare occasions,  a software developer that is not actively developing software... can hang out with another guy taking a break.

Stay tuned.  The 8-Ball laptop is packed already but, this nerd may get a pretty decent tour around 1800 Dirac ave, at FSU. 😉

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 51 of 141
(7,006 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

And now for something completely different. 

On very rare occasions,  a software developer that is not actively developing software... can hang out with another guy taking a break.

Stay tuned.  The 8-Ball laptop is packed already but, this nerd may get a pretty decent tour around 1800 Dirac ave, at FSU. 😉

I'll post some pics later but,...

I do want to offer a timely personal thank you to our fellow community contributor STH.  He did take some time out of his work schedule to meet with me where he works, at the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory in Tallahassee, Florida. 

The personal guided tour of that facility was every science geek's dream!  STH, was extremely generous to show me some very cool things that can be done with LabVIEW.   Not just ground breaking research but, literally very cool! Like milliKelvins cool:D

Thanks again 

Message 52 of 141
(6,991 Views)

These video cover some more of the OTHER things happening.

Why it is a bad idea to bury an electrical box.

Why the phrase "Good enough" and plumbing just do not mix.

Spring fed pond update in Fall

Uncovering rot under the bay window

And for all of you that think you know steam engines and machine shops, check out David Richards channel on YouTube. I have learned quite a bit from his channel. Some examples are how leather belts are stitched together, how to use a dividing head and a steady rest and many other things.

Re: a dividing head

I purchased one for my rotary table since I discovered it was used for making gears. I was disappointed that when it arrived the instructions were in Chinese. David did nice job in schooling me!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 53 of 141
(6,954 Views)

After my brother saw those ants he decided to not take a chance so...

We removed all of the structure under the bay window and rebuilt it last night. He is ordering new windows today because the old windows were single pane with wood frames were there was some dame that was either rot of ants. So the roof will stay the same (maybe) but everything under it will be getting replaced.

Having fun,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 54 of 141
(6,932 Views)

Adding to the list of software developers do...

I was putting a deck on one our places on Saturday and while getting up, I felt something pop in my left knee. It was OK until I came inside and then realized I pulled something.

But there was still time in the day so I spent the early evening troubleshooting when the furnace was not working. I ordered a bunch of parts because I don't mind having spares and I want to get it working again.

That was enough for one week-end.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 55 of 141
(6,883 Views)

I was off on vacation for most of the last month and worked on those projects that I had discussed previously in this thread.

That place with the bad roof has shaped up both inside and out.

The second of the two springs was also backfilled with a ton of river rock and a ton of crushed granite. Add a pile of dirt on top and the spring is done and ready to survive the winter.

It took days to complete that spring since the ground was either frozen or thawed and sloppy. Tore up the lawn with the power wagon even though I never took the same path twice.

It felt great to button that up. I really hope it works out as I hope since removing a two tons of dirt and stone to get back at the spring is not something I want to do.

Now for doing it again on another spring... The Wife and I counted another nine springs when we walked The Ridge this past week-end. The most recent discovery was an artesian well that starting bubbling up after I poked at a wet spot with my waking stick.

Still enjoy playing in the mud.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 56 of 141
(6,753 Views)

@Ben wrote:

I was off on vacation for most of the last month and worked on those projects that I had discussed previously in this thread.

That place with the bad roof has shaped up both inside and out.

The second of the two springs was also backfilled with a ton of river rock and a ton of crushed granite. Add a pile of dirt on top and the spring is done and ready to survive the winter.

It took days to complete that spring since the ground was either frozen or thawed and sloppy. Tore up the lawn with the power wagon even though I never took the same path twice.

It felt great to button that up. I really hope it works out as I hope since removing a two tons of dirt and stone to get back at the spring is not something I want to do.

Now for doing it again on another spring... The Wife and I counted another nine springs when we walked The Ridge this past week-end. The most recent discovery was an artesian well that starting bubbling up after I poked at a wet spot with my waking stick.

Still enjoy playing in the mud.

Ben

Looks like you need a reaction Engine.  

0 Kudos
Message 57 of 141
(6,740 Views)

With that remodel project coming to a close soon, I found some time to work on another project that I find interesting which is cloning plants.

Clones.jpg

I had purchase a seedless grape vine as a bare-root stock last year that had grown well enough for me to chance a pruning of the smaller side branches. The cuttings turned out to be 2-3 inches long, unlike the 6-8 inches I have cloned in the past. I will have to wait until March or so to see if any of them took but if one wants seedless grapes, then cloning is what has to be done.

My better-half claims we are Hobbit at heart with our love of growing things. While I partially agree, I still thnk there is a bit of dwarf in me based on my ability to find some excuse to dig.

For what it s worth...

Ben

Message 58 of 141
(6,705 Views)

A question that I had about the springs that were developed this year was how they would perform in the dead of winter.

It has been well below freezing for days now and they just keep going!

Thermodynamics indicates as much but to see it in action, that is something else.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 59 of 141
(6,621 Views)

Window replacement party!

It was 20 degrees and snowing but with a tarp structure erected over the window on the outside it was rather reasonable. The window assembly weighed in at 450 lbs. No one was injured and the window went in just fine.

Another big task checked-off!

Take care,

Ben

Message 60 of 141
(6,583 Views)