BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"What Software Developers Do When They Are Not Developing Software".

@Andrey_Dmitriev

After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless...

Two days ago NI Installs failed, I looked at my C:\ Drive and noticed it had less free space than my media.

Yesterday, I uninstalled some older NI products (601 to be exact or is that DCI?)

Freeing up 86GB so today....

Capture.png

Tomorrow my life may be meaningless to Andrey..........

But, This is what I do when I am not developing code :{

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 31 of 141
(7,651 Views)

@Andrey_Dmitriev wrote:

After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless...

Seven days without programming makes one week.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 32 of 141
(7,621 Views)

This is me driving the boat across the finish line of the 2018 Race to Mackinac. This was my 25th race. This year was also one of the rougher races that I have been on. For 66+ hours we were sailing into the wind. The winds were steady at 20+ knots for the entire race with periods of winds around 35 knots (40 MPH) with 4 to 6 foot waves. While I have sailed in stronger winds and larger waves, this year was difficult because of how long the conditions lasted.

Mac Finish.png

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 33 of 141
(7,569 Views)

I used to enjoy yachting when I was young. I subscribed to Yachting magazine right up until I had to go to sea. 3 Three months at sea without a break changes ones mind. (smiley-wink)

Spoiler
"Yacht - A hole in the water you pour money into."

But I do enjoy water and playing in the mud.

The video above is a short update on the flow-rate I have from one of the springs I developed this year. The spring is producing more water than the spring box was originally configured to handle. I will have to add more holes to the output line but that is a good thing.

Of course finding the spring in an overflow condition prompted me to take a measurement. The better alf ran the stop watch while I monitored the gallon bottle. At the rate it was flowing on Saturday, we have more than 5000 gallons a day being channeled to the pond. It makes very clear why that part of the yard was always soggy.

There is just something about water.

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 34 of 141
(7,455 Views)

Better than 1gal/min...

Dang, that is a power source not just a water source. 

How much is the rent?

Don't make me bust out NEETS 19.  Rough estimates 

8.25 lb./ gal. Roughed out around 6 kilos/ minute or, near 100g/s  we are in  %d watts with that! 

Message 35 of 141
(7,451 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Better than 1gal/min...

How much is the rent?

8.25 lb./ gal. Roughed out around 6 kilos/ minute or, near 100g/s  we are in  %d watts with that! 

We did the math when I had measured 4000 gallons a day and it worked out to about 40Watts. Granted it is about four times as much as a human but would only run some LEDs or charge a cell phone.

But running a Ram Pump...

Estimate 10% efficiency it could pump 500 gallons a day to storage tanks on the top of the hill that could be used for irrigation.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 36 of 141
(7,442 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

Better than 1gal/min...

How much is the rent?

We did the math when I had measured 4000 gallons a day and it worked out to about 40Watts. Granted it is about four times as much as a human but would only run some LEDs or charge a cell phone.

But running a Ram Pump...

Estimate 10% efficiency it could pump 500 gallons a day to storage tanks on the top of the hill that could be used for irrigation.

Ben

More than enough to read a book all night long.  Which, might be needed if you don't have table 1-24:D

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 141
(7,429 Views)

I was rained out last night so I read some of the Hydraulic Ram Pump" book my better-half purchased for me. Like Steven Hawkings reported, a book will never be a best seller if it has equations and this book has plenty starting on about page 3 or 5.

Appendix D included information on "head Loss" and if I rad that info correctly it tells me I should expect about 3 foot of head loss if running 2gal/min through 100' of 3/4 " PEX.

I now have a better idea why "water does not run downhill".

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 141
(7,379 Views)

Nine  to twelve inches of head loss can be favorable if you don't like bumping your noggin

Perhaps something like VI Server to deal with headless Operations???

Yes, that's a joke.

<I didn't say it was a GOOD joke>

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 141
(7,375 Views)

It became my job to caulk all of the lap joints in the rubber roof. I had started that work last Monday night and after about 15 feet of caulking my forearm was done and I could not do any more. Quickly doing some math and counting the number of nozzles (there is a special nozzle for applying the caulking) I realized I would run out of nozzles before I had the entire roof done. I bit the bullet and ordered a pneumatic caulking gun.

After trying it out I think my brother has a new favorite tool for replacing windows and applying construction adhesive. It let me lay-down just short of 200 feet of caulk in one day. While my forearms are not sore from pumping, the rest of my body is beat from getting up to change the tube and crawling around on the roof.

I have couple of corners left to go and my brother has started on the gutters so soon we will be talking about replacing the deck,

Lots of fun trying to keep with a brother 6 years your younger.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 141
(7,319 Views)