BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"What Software Developers Do When They Are Not Developing Software".

I did get back to do more learning and experimenting with the water delivery idea. After replacing the 1/2" PEX with 3/4" PEX I managed to get some good flow. I feel the size of the line was one factor.

But that was just one factor. The next thing I had to deal with is the roller coaster path the line follows over hills and under logs. I covered the end of the line to get a pressure build up and then let it go to flush the air out of the lines. I did this repeatedly and eventually the water was flow out of the end of the delivery line as fast as the spring was delivering it.

I had to end the experiment there since it was getting late. Tonight I will see how far I can raise the end of the delivery line and maintain flow. Since the differential pressure between the spring box and the delivery point will drop, the flow rate will also do the same. Since the total length of the run is almost 200', I may be forced to upgrade to 1" PEX and rerunning that line may be a bit too costly. After all, I do intend to get my ram pump going again and it could eliminate the need for this project once I have storage tanks at the top of the hill filled. That after all is proven technology.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 141
(7,145 Views)

I should update that series of experiments with spring water and pipes.

In the end I figured out that the length of the line I was trying to drive combined with up and down path and  limited head pressure, it just was not going to work unless I reran all of the lines with 1" or larger pipe. And then that would only be an experiment that may also fail. So that plan was a total failure if you do not count a few lessons learned. I will have to depend on the hydraulic ram pump for water on the hill. That will have to wait until I have to do "project I could do" because I still have a lot of "project I have to do".

Now for those of us software developers that are blessed to have granddaughters visit every week I can mention an experiment we did on Sunday.

The experiment is called "Fire Snake".

Spoiler

It involves burning a mixture of sugar and baking soda in a bowl of sand dowsed with lighter fluid. The fire demands respect from the young ones and we did get a hint of what it could have done with more of sugar/baking soda mix and more time. The eldest G-daughter, like her peers are into YouTube so I let her record the experiment.

Spoiler

Take care,

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 22 of 141
(7,091 Views)

Sand , especially when wet, is a great heat sink.  That reaction was used by my chem teacher as a classic example of "Endothermic reactions"  contrast and compare on other mediums.  Keep the sand around for the fire watch.

Thanks for not wearing a kilt.:D

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 23 of 141
(7,089 Views)

@Ben wrote:

My fire experiment this weekend involved a yellow jacket nest that randomly appeared under my grill on Saturday.  Move the grill and its platform only to expose a large portion of the actual nest (not the just access hole).  Needless to say, they were not happy.  But then we add some gasoline and a lighter and there are not so many yellow jackets coming to get me.  Unfortunately, I had to repeat on Sunday while mowing.  We'll see tonight if they are more resilient than I thought.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 24 of 141
(7,082 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@Ben wrote:

My fire experiment this weekend involved a yellow jacket nest that randomly appeared under my grill on Saturday.  Move the grill and its platform only to expose a large portion of the actual nest (not the just access hole).  Needless to say, they were not happy.  But then we add some gasoline and a lighter and there are not so many yellow jackets coming to get me.  Unfortunately, I had to repeat on Sunday while mowing.  We'll see tonight if they are more resilient than I thought.

Strangely, I wondered down a Yellow Jacket path on YouTube last week-end that included "Revenge of The Electric Weenie"

Two interesting approaches that came from that adventure was using an electric bug zapper and a novel approach of using cat food as bait to trap them soapy water.

Now in your case they were coming between you and the grill and that can not stand. But I usually let them have their ground since they are predators and on my side when it comes to cabbage worms etc. And if the threaten my granddaughter, they have to move.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 141
(7,077 Views)

Now I feel like I didn't try hard enough over the weekend.   All I did with fire and a grill was a few ribeye steaks. 

No video, and the evidence is gone. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 141
(7,143 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Now I feel like I didn't try hard enough over the weekend.   All I did with fire and a grill was a few ribeye steaks. 

No video, and the evidence is gone

That sounds like a license to do it again.

I have been so busy with all of the other projects that I have not mentioned the gardens this year. All of the gardens in the woods have been laying fallow this year but the backyard gardens have been running on autopilot. But I have hear them screaming for attention so I did tend to some of them last night.

Red_Bull.jpg

There is a quarter on that onion to the left to give a size reference. Red Bull onions are our favorite but I would like to find an heirloom variety that will perform similarly.

Shallots.jpg

I left the vest of the shallots in the garden so they can overwinter and produce seed next year. They are an heirloom variety. My goal is to someday be able to plants only seeds that I collected.

For those that are interested, all of the stuff I grow is organic. I get an assist from the local birds that perch on the phone lines that run over most of my gardens.

Ben

Message 27 of 141
(7,115 Views)

The drainage ditches are ready to be back filled. I recorded a video "just for the record". I covered all of the water features including all four springs, the pond, ditches, and the now defunct dam that used to power the ram pump.

I will put it in a spoiler because it is just me walking around and talking as if I was offering a tour to the neighbor.

Spoiler

Soon most of that will be covered up.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 141
(7,090 Views)

I have little time so I will limit this post to sharing the YouTube videos I posted while on vacation.

This years alliums.

Roof damage removal and replacement (a slide show).

Narative of the roof repair (the story of the dunk carpenter and the gym teacher)

Rubber roof install

I am now off on a road trip so take care!

Ben

Message 29 of 141
(6,999 Views)

I playing LEGO.

This is original:

And this is my version:

After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless...

Message 30 of 141
(6,980 Views)