BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"What Software Developers Do When They Are Not Developing Software".

I have introduced a little too much chaos to the random post thread so I will be using this thread when I am tempted to share reports of non-LV related activities.

All are welcome to post about what they do or have done that lets the rest of the world know that we are more than just machines developing code. Now if you have a LV project that you are working on in your spare time like an application that determines when your beer is ready or controls the irrigation of your gardens, those are just as valid for this thread.

If I have time I will share my new experiment to see if I can water the grape vines I have growing on one hillside from a spring I developed on another hill side.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1 of 141
(9,383 Views)

The experiment last night did not work out as I had hoped.

My special aptitude gets a little wonky when climbing up and down hills and along twisted paths. What I did prove is the grape vines are at a higher elevation than the spring box for spring #2 and the overflow line for the second spring works fine.

But how much higher?

That will be another test I will have to run that will require I penetrate the deeper and darker parts of the forest where I have not been in years.

If nothing else I will ID the actual elevation of spring #2 and maybe get a method of filling buckets that I can man-handle to water grape vines.

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 141
(9,342 Views)

So my latest obsession at home is 3D printing.  I'll probably make a blog post on my experience at some point.  I bought my first 3D printer, and took about 10 hours to assemble it.  After some troubleshooting, and minor fixes, and upgrades, it seems to be running like a champ and I've been printing various models that people have posted.  I've just started some modeling using Solidworks and I think the first thing I'm going to try to make is some kind of project box for an ethernet controlled relay box with touch screen.  So far I'm still just playing around with various filaments and settings.  Here are some of the random things on my desk like a coaster, puzzle, anchor and eel using wood filament (sanded and stained) and an iris box, and jack that both printed assembled.

20180803_0905073.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 141
(9,338 Views)

@Ben wrote:

I have introduced a little too much chaos to the random post thread so I will be using this thread when I am tempted to share reports of non-LV related activities.

Ben

Actually, it was the converse that bothered me more (the Random Posts made it hard too follow your progress)

While you are performing the next experiment this link might be of assistance and I'ld be interested in how you apply it!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 141
(9,326 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@Ben wrote:

Ben

Actually, it was the converse that bothered me more (the Random Posts made it hard too follow your progress)

While you are performing the next experiment this link might be of assistance and I'ld be interested in how you apply it!

That (along with planting about 5 grape vines) is exactly what I was trying to do tonight. What stopped me last night was it was getting late and dragging the PEX line back down the hill into the gulley through ;

Japanese Barberry (spine the will pierce leather gloves),

Mulitflora Rose (Flesh eating thorns),

Wild Black Raspberries (hazardous but at least they produce good fruit),

Wild grape vines, and

then there is the Poison Ivy....

Requires an approach it like trying to get Dorthy out of her Ruby Slippers, "These things must done delicately." and not rushed.

If I drag the line down the hill far enough the water should come out and when I hold at point that is level with the overflow of the of the spring box I will have a reference point that I can work with to determine if switching over to spring #1 that has a spring box about 4 feet above spring #2.

my brother does have a laser level but by the time I set it up measure move lather rinse repeat, It would take even more time.

I did see another approach that involved a forked stick with a level mounted on it. An operator help the stick with the forks side up and the spirit level centered. Eye-ball from the short branch to the long and mark the line on the longer fork even with the first fork.

From that point forward the operator would hold it level eye-ball across the two branches and then spot a tree in the distance. Best to have an assistant mark the point but for rough leveling, just remember where on the tree was the level line. Proceed as you would expect.

The other thing that complicates the figuring is the absolute jungle the forest area is. I read people talking about this gun or that gun and taking out a target at 500 yards. Round here you can't see 50 yards!

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 141
(9,321 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

@Ben wrote:

Ben

That (along with planting about 5 grape vines) is exactly what I was trying to do tonight. What stopped me last night was it was getting late and dragging the PEX line back down the hill into the gulley through ;

Japanese Barberry (spine the will pierce leather gloves),

Mulitflora Rose (Flesh eating thorns),

Wild Black Raspberries (hazardous but at least they produce good fruit),

Wild grape vines, and

then there is the Poison Ivy....

Requires an approach it like trying to get Dorthy out of her Ruby Slippers, "These things must done delicately." and not rushed.

If I drag the line down the hill far enough the water should come out and when I hold at point that is level with the overflow of the of the spring box I will have a reference point that I can work with to determine if switching over to spring #1 that has a spring box about 4 feet above spring #2.

my brother does have a laser level but by the time I set it up measure move lather rinse repeat, It would take even more time.

I did see another approach that involved a forked stick with a level mounted on it. An operator help the stick with the forks side up and the spirit level centered. Eye-ball from the short branch to the long and mark the line on the longer fork even with the first fork.

From that point forward the operator would hold it level eye-ball across the two branches and then spot a tree in the distance. Best to have an assistant mark the point but for rough leveling, just remember where on the tree was the level line. Proceed as you would expect.

The other thing that complicates the figuring is the absolute jungle the forest area is. I read people talking about this gun or that gun and taking out a target at 500 yards. Round here you can't see 50 yards!

Ben

If it is any consolation at all, only @%95 humans react to poison ivy.  (Boy, did that P.O. the XMB <not the LMB> when she found out that she, and three children, were not in the same %5 I was)

Message 6 of 141
(9,317 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

@BenRound here you can't see 50 yards!

Ben

30-30 Winchester lever action 24" barrel 

Still good @ 200+yds - Snaps around nicely for those 50yd- shots.  

Way- Back When... I've taken deer on both extremes with that machine.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 141
(9,308 Views)

@JÞB ...Ben

If it is any consolation at all, only @%95 humans react to poison ivy.  (Boy, did that P.O. the XMB <not the LMB> when she found out that she, and three children, were not in the same %5 I was)

While I have gotten poison Ivy a couple of times, I seem to be partially immune because I come away clear while others suffer from it. In one case my better--half got it bad after washing the clothes I was wearing when working in the woods. Not a spec on me but her fore arms were covered.

This video is an updated from Saturday night after a day of digging.

And to put the amount of dirt we dug up and moved this...

Path_Down_HIll.jpg

path down the hill wide enough for a power wagon and between 25 and 30 feet long, did not exist on Saturday morning.

One more thing to notice in that image. That coil of white PEX tubing in the top left corner, is the line k from up on the hill. Turns out that line was clogged! Running that drip still work! I will try to find out tonight when I run a new line.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 141
(9,259 Views)

Here is the video showing the set-up where water is not flowing down hill the way I had hoped it would.

After dragging the 100' coil of 1/2 PEX down the hill and flattening out the coils I did get very small flow.

What has me asking questions is why does the flow stop when I left the delivery end of the line more than 4-5 feet off of the ground?

Never having been schooled on water lines etc. I am thinking it has to do with the long run of 1/2 PEX and resistance. But that would only explain the low flow and not the fact that it stops flow when lifted only 5 feet.

I have me some learning to do!

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 141
(9,234 Views)

Capillary action?

Message 10 of 141
(9,217 Views)