From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You have exactly 1 nanosecond to report missing mail!

Not LabVIEW related, but still something for the breakpoint. How do you design and program a system that makes reporting impossible?!! No reports, no problem! Right?

So, the USPS has that great new thing "Informed Delivery Daily Digest" where you can sign up for free and you get an e-mail with a picture of all mail pieces expected for that day. It even has a link to report missing pieces, etc.

So far so good:

So, we did not get any of the mail pieces announced from last Saturday (e.g. one from the DMV) and I quickly got the feeling that they will never arrive (carrier did not come that day according to our security camera) and they also did not come with the newer mail in the following week.

Of course, I wanted to report that, but the e-mail explicitly instructes to "allow up to a week before reporting missing mail", which I did. Today, 1 week later, I click the link and it says expired!

So I need to (1) wait a week but also (2) wait less than seven days. Not really sure how to do that! I guess I need a time machine!

MissingMail2.png 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,084 Views)

@altenbach wrote: I guess I need a time machine!

I have a few of them around the shop now.  They really are simple to use and do the job well.  Not sure they would help with your situation though.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 8
(6,053 Views)

What is the significance of "ACHI" that they changes the colors of those letters in their brand name?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,033 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

What is the significance of "ACHI" that they changes the colors of those letters in their brand name?

Your guess is as good as mine.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,018 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@RavensFan wrote:

Your guess is as good as mine.

gesundheit

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,008 Views)

Up to 1 week,  expires in 7 days. Clearly there is no contradiction.

Clearer statements could be made like

"Report missing deliveries within a week"  which is semantically equivalent. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,915 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Up to 1 week,  expires in 7 days. Clearly there is no contradiction.

"... allow up to one week before reporting ..." means that there is a wired data dependency (before...after...). The "up to one week" MUST occur before reporting. We need to "allow" them more days to deliver, means that we should not report it right away on the same day, because it can take up to a week in transport between their facilities, incorrect sorting, carrier sick leave, mail truck break down, etc. before it actually arrives. We should only report it if it still has not arrived after allowing for all that.. 😄

(It is fortunate that I am a graphical programmer, because text is so much more confusing! They could just say that the reporting link will be active for seven days and leave all the ambiguous stuff out. These days we have computers, so the program that formats the mail could even insert an exact link expiration date)

Well, about three weeks later, these mail pieces finally arrived. Most likely, a neighbor who was on vacation got them and returned them to us. We constantly get mail of others, so this is not a stretch.

(While walking home a couple of months ago, I saw two on-duty mail trucks parked in a quiet area with both carriers sitting on the hood socializing in a thick cloud of weed smoke. 😮 Probably completely unrelated :D)

Message 7 of 8
(5,907 Views)

Delivering the mail is a hard job so you need something to chill and get the work done.

Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,728 Views)