BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wikpedia

LabVIEW on Wikipedia, do you agree? I especially find the later sections to be rather colored by non LV-ers.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,829 Views)

If I were to list things under the Criticism section I might list some of the same things.

Licensing can suck at times, having the run-time engine be separate and large can suck.  But the way they word those criticisms is poor.  And I could argue the other critisizms aren't true at all.

Message 2 of 7
(6,787 Views)

Looking at the criticism section:

Licensing: Most LabVIEW products require a license, so singling out the applciation builder under the heading "licensing" is misleading. Tha's a completely different discussion and belongs elsewhere.

Race conditions ...: That's just pure gibberish.

• What is a non-parallel platform? (most computers have at least 4 CPU cores). It even runs on FPGAs!
  • Race condition control is in the dataflow and there are plenty of explicit other control mechanisms available.
  • What does security (or the impression of it) have to do with race conditions or parallelism?

Performance: Pure gibberish. Opinionated words (especially obvious, difficult, significantly, etc.) without any supporting data.

Looking at the "benefits" section, that are some stale statements, for example is says that "... compiled code is merged with the source code into a single file". This has been optional for a long time already via the "Separate compiled code..." option.. Typically the compiled code is cached separately and regenerated on demand.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,781 Views)

Just the other day I looked at the LabVIEW wikipedia page hoping it would mention the first LabVIEW version that was in color and I decided to read the criticism section because I find it kind of funny when people get unreasonably mad at things and LabVIEW tends to be polarizing (Please no more LabVIEW Pros vs. Cons).

As it turns out I viewed the page 2 minutes after someone edited the page who appears to not like LabVIEW too much.

messy pile of junk.png

If you look back at the edits to the page you will see a lot of interesting changes made by users who don't seem to like LabVIEW.  This was probably my second favorite behind the following

The labview interface shields the user from many real hardware, programming and application technicalities. This makes it easier for novice programmers to get to grips with basic hardware interfacing but it also hides many of the subtleties, opportunities and capabilities of the underlying system. As a result the user is not only disenfranchised from the abilities of the underlying system but also de-skilled. This results in a "dumbing-down" of labview users when compared with users of a more basic interface who will tend to go on to create more able systems

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,764 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Looking at the criticism section:

Wiki is run by flawed human beings. Any information on anything even remotely political or subject to opinion is worthless there. They simply will not allow a give-and-take, point-counterpoint once they have taken a "side". If I do read a wiki article I amost always read 2-3 other resources. Wiki is a cabal and just as ham-handed. I suggest we counter these arguments soon before it becomes the Word of Wiki, i.e. unchangeable and eternal. Smiley Surprised

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,690 Views)

wki is just a subset of the internet where I often paraphrase an old line "I get all of my misinformation from the internet."

A couple of days ago I noticed a thread on Linked-in in the LBVIEW forum where a user posted a mtheod of using semaphores to prevent race condtions reading and writng to local variables. The scary part is that someday, I will open some code that will be using that same construct.

May God hlep us all!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 6 of 7
(6,649 Views)

There's an easier solution fo avoiding race conditions when using local variables, sequence structures ... I bet he felt clever for finding a way to avoid getting flak for using sequence structures and still using locals ...

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,547 Views)