BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this and what is it used for

I do not see the screwdriver tip that I would expect but I concur that one revolution of the "key" will move the count up one notch.

Still baffled as to what it turned where we would have to count up to 100.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 71 of 294
(8,101 Views)

@Ben, Jeff: It's a PMT , the Dynode arrangement is for higher speed. See http://www.hamamatsu.com/eu/en/product/category/3100/3001/index.html

James

no, it is not a screwdriver , and the shaft can rotate.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 72 of 294
(8,097 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

@Ben, Jeff: It's a PMT , the Dynode arrangement is for higher speed. See http://www.hamamatsu.com/eu/en/product/category/3100/3001/index.html

James

I expected the dynodes to be in-line with the electron beam.  You learn something new every day!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 73 of 294
(8,079 Views)

New guess!

It is a rotation counter that can be used to count shaft rotation and when combined with a stop watch can be used to measure shaft rotation speed.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 74 of 294
(8,061 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

Yes, it looks like a mobile hand tool to measure rotation speed. Maybe some old steam engine or water mill has a hole in the axle where you would press this in for a given amount of time, then calculate the speed from the time and rotation count.

The tip looks like self-centering and tapered to prevent binding, but engages securely in a matching axle feature.

EDIT: Ben was a bit faster, but maybe we're both wrong :D)

Message 75 of 294
(8,059 Views)

Yes Christian see here.

A rubber tip like a pencil eraser would be attached to interface with the shaft.

Q: How long unitl a pencil shows up as the challeng in this thread?

Henrik,

Excellent collection you have there!

Thank you for sharing.

Ben

Message 76 of 294
(8,102 Views)

Nice video you found BEN 🙂  and yes, that an about 100 years old revolution counter.

Last year I found another pure mechanical one at an flear market in Capetown. The negotiated price was 150 Rand 🙂  (about 12$)

This one has the stopwatch included. If the shaft is pushed into the housing the watch is running. No matter wich direction the rotation is, the counter counts up. Resetting the counter by the red wheel will also load the watch spring. 🙂  And the rubber tip is also included, but only needed if you want to be nice to the wheel 😄

20151014_212834 klein.jpg

So here is a quick next one:

20151013_203531 klein.jpg

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 77 of 294
(8,030 Views)

Henrik_Volkers wrote: So here is a quick next one:

Works well with red (actually purple) or white (actually yellow)  items. Cheers!

Message 78 of 294
(7,988 Views)

Right Christian 🙂  It's always fun to hand it over to a guest.... 'How do you use THAT??' 😄

Next hint would be my old icon/avatar  ....

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

Message 79 of 294
(7,979 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

So here is a quick next one:

20151013_203531 klein.jpg

Outlet tester.

Message 80 of 294
(7,961 Views)