BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this and what is it used for

@Ben wrote:
A CDC 9762 see here page 4 about 1974.

Yes, we extensively used those. The voice coils to move the heads were about the diameter of an arm. Reading operations made the enthre rack shake. Several head crashes, each costing the equivalent of a new PC to repair, caused us to look for a PC based solution and in 1996 I wrote my first LabVIEW program to control that instrument.  The rest is history. 😄

(Sadly, that PC is slated to be retired because windows 95 is no longer compliant with the security mandates. Right now it is still running the instrument using a NI ISA card under LabVIEW 4.0, basically continuously for 19 years. :D)

Message 61 of 294
(8,959 Views)

@Ben wrote:

OK that lasted a whole 23 minutes.

Here is one that I do NOT know exactly what it is. Maybe you can tell me. I found it in a dumpster.

DSCN0639.JPG

The right end has a aluminum disk glue to it with a 3/4 inch hole drilled in it.

If you know plese tell me!

That isn't a triode ... looks more like a PMT a PhotoMultiplierTube (have some in my collection;) )

EDIT: Ups there was a second page and AK2DM was faster 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 62 of 294
(8,943 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@Ben wrote:
A CDC 9762 see here page 4 about 1974.

Yes, we extensively used those. The voice coils to move the heads were about the diameter of an arm. Reading operations made the enthre rack shake. Several head crashes, each costing the equivalent of a new PC to repair, caused us to look for a PC based solution and in 1996 I wrote my first LabVIEW program to control that instrument.  The rest is history. 😄

(Sadly, that PC is slated to be retired because windows 95 is no longer compliant with the security mandates. Right now it is still running the instrument using a NI ISA card under LabVIEW 4.0, basically continuously for 19 years. :D)

That sea story brings up an interesting crosing of the stream Christian.

I was the guy charging you an arm and a leg to repiar the head crash before PCs made their appearence on the market. As the number of customers dropped, the work force was reduced and eventually it was my turn to take a package. Shortly there after I was working in the Physics labs at Pitt where my boss insisted I write a program for him in LabVIEW and handed me a (very boring) video tape introduction to LabVIEW 4.0. Not to be misleading, my first LV code was LV 5.0.

Quoting you a second time " The rest is history. :D"

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 63 of 294
(8,923 Views)

Thank you Henrik !

It is nice to know and if you have a collection, you know!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 64 of 294
(8,904 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

@Ben wrote:

OK that lasted a whole 23 minutes.

Here is one that I do NOT know exactly what it is. Maybe you can tell me. I found it in a dumpster.

DSCN0639.JPG

The right end has a aluminum disk glue to it with a 3/4 inch hole drilled in it.

If you know plese tell me!

That isn't a triode ... looks more like a PMT a PhotoMultiplierTube (have some in my collection;) )

EDIT: Ups there was a second page and AK2DM was faster 😄

I'm not so sure thats a PMT.  If so the dynodes are arranged rather oddly!   it appears that the gold coated areas are electrically tied to each other by the silver bands. Also the large number of connections the silver bands is a fairly good clue that the tube is designed for greater screen current than cathode current.

OTOH, having found it wrapped in black tape with a hole in the top shield is very suggestive of a photo-active cathode.

Can yo roll that around to get a good look at the screen connections?  Do any markings survive?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 65 of 294
(8,893 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

I'm not so sure thats a PMT.  If so the dynodes are arranged rather oddly!   it appears that the gold coated areas are electrically tied to each other by the silver bands. Also the large number of connections the silver bands is a fairly good clue that the tube is designed for greater screen current than cathode current.

OTOH, having found it wrapped in black tape with a hole in the top shield is very suggestive of a photo-active cathode.

Can yo roll that around to get a good look at the screen connections?  Do any markings survive?

When next chance I get and remeber, I will take some more pictures for you Jeff. It does have a hand-written (in gold paint) number on the envelope but I searched on that number some years ago and nothing was found.

May be this round of of the game is not over yet.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 66 of 294
(8,887 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

When next chance I get and remeber, I will take some more pictures for you Jeff. It does have a hand-written (in gold paint) number on the envelope but I searched on that number some years ago and nothing was found.

May be this round of of the game is not over yet.

Ben

Better yet,

I understand DSA will have a presence on Navy Pier this week.  Theoretically, I could have my eyeballs on the object....

I'll trade one of these:

Trade.png

for the opportunity to inspect the tube

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 67 of 294
(8,878 Views)

Next one:
20151013_203153 klein.jpg

That's the back side, If you take a look at the other it's quite easy:

Spoiler
20151013_203220 klein.jpg

Next hint: The father of my grandmother used it in his (steam engine driven) factory
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 68 of 294
(8,845 Views)

I can only venture a wild guess Henrik "A guard tour key?"

Ben

Message 69 of 294
(8,821 Views)

The back helps, but I'm not sure exactly what's going on with the twisting motion.

Does it measure how far the rod twists? It looks like the rod is fixed to the handle and can't roate, but that can't be right. Is it just a fancy screwdriver that measures rotations?

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 70 of 294
(8,793 Views)