BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this and what is it used for

@James.M wrote:
A flux resistor! The sister component to the flux capacitor.

Now you have me asking wht we don't call it Jigahertz...

Since I do not know what it is I should offer more info.

When originally found it was in an aluminum tube about 1/4 inch thick. The dumpster I found it in was behind the physics labs at the Univ. of Pittsburgh.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 51 of 294
(8,623 Views)

It looks like a gigantic triode, kinda, but I can't find one that looks like that.

I would guess it has something to do with radio transmission. 

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 52 of 294
(8,616 Views)

There are too many pins on the bottom for a triode but I can not rule out a pentode.

Inside the gold mesh there MAY be dynodes.

I should also add that whenfound it was thickly wrapped in balck electrical tape that I cleaned off to see what was inside. Between the aluminum tube it was in, and the electrical tape, perhaps they wanted to keep light out of it.

Maybe I should offer something else that I know what it is ? Why not!?

These are three genreations of the same thing. We all use them and if you ever see them it is really bad.

DSCN0642_Edit.jpg

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 53 of 294
(8,609 Views)

Magnetic media read heads?

Ben:

Methinks that could be a photomultiplier vacuum tube.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 55 of 294
(8,586 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@James.M wrote:

When originally found it was in an aluminum tube about 1/4 inch thick. The dumpster I found it in was behind the physics labs at the Univ. of Pittsburgh.

Ben

Remarkably, That is a Phantastron from the AFC section of a SPS-10 Radar.  <Sea-Story> While busy actually troubleshooting that dratted section a very Jr. Ensign asked how I was progressing.  I replied, "I have it isolated to either  the phantastron or the reflex klystron"  The ensign wrote me up for being flippant!  The XO dropped the charges when I pointed out that those components actually did exist.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 56 of 294
(8,589 Views)

I am going to call both of the previous corect as far as I can tell.

I will stop there for today to let others play.

Take care,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 57 of 294
(8,575 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@Ben wrote:

@James.M wrote:

Ben

Remarkably, That is a Phantastron from the AFC section of a SPS-10 Radar.  <Sea-Story> While busy actually troubleshooting that dratted section a very Jr. Ensign asked how I was progressing.  I replied, "I have it isolated to either  the phantastron or the reflex klystron"  The ensign wrote me up for being flippant!  The XO dropped the charges when I pointed out that those components actually did exist.

We sent a rookie off to supply to get a fallopian tube in one my sea stories.

Ben

Message 58 of 294
(8,582 Views)

Ben, do you know which device that large R/W head came from? My first guess would be one of the drum drives from the 70's.

(8,565 Views)

@tst wrote:

Ben, do you know which device that large R/W head came from? My first guess would be one of the drum drives from the 70's.

A CDC 9762 see here page 4 about 1974.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 60 of 294
(8,558 Views)