Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this and what is it used for

@AnalogKid2DigitalMan wrote:

Garlic blooms.

-AK2DM

Excellent!

Did you know by sight, or were you helped by the hints?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 281 of 294
(5,471 Views)

@AnalogKid2DigitalMan wrote:

Garlic blooms.

Same instant guess. Sometimes they are a bit more purple than the red seen here, but we don't know the color quality and lighting of that photo. Also probably depends on the variety. 😄

Message 282 of 294
(5,458 Views)

Instant guess, been there done that 🙂

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 283 of 294
(5,451 Views)

Since Y'all figured that one out so quick here is another still in the life-science domain.

I was taking a walk while on a break yesterday when I noticed this.

I summoned the life-scientist I work with to get an ID. Sure that is a rock but;

"What is on the rock?"

I will omit the clues for now.

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 284 of 294
(5,425 Views)

Kind of lichen? But it looks dried out a lot, need water to revive? 🙂

The forest at home is really beautiful after a good rain, and worth to go to hunt for mushrooms, like porcini under the oaks and beech trees 🙂

Spoiler

IMG_20160729_074901027mod.jpg

IMG_20160729_090027390mod.jpg

IMG_20160729_092304434mod.jpg

And as an extra, you can meet nice folks in the forest (i did not want to film them too long, I would also not like if a giant disturbing me when I am having fun with my girlfriend... 😄 😞

Message 285 of 294
(5,420 Views)

Several species of lichen, interesting since they are a combination of fungi and algae, and of course some bryophytes. False Stone crop?

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
Message 286 of 294
(5,405 Views)

@GovBob wrote:

Several species of lichen, interesting since they are a combination of fungi and algae, and of course some bryophytes. False Stone crop?

See! That is why I like these threads. I learn something even though I was the person asking the question.

Re: False Stonecrop

My search only showed me some vascular plants using that term.

Blokk,

Those mushrooms got my mouth watering. While someday I know enough but the little I know is that around here, if you did not plant it, don't eat as far as mushrooms are concerned. Nice salamanders! The ones around here are just black.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 287 of 294
(5,394 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@SnowMule ...

An archeological challenge is in the spoiler below. Warning! There are g-daughter pictures involved.

Spoiler

Speaking of keeping score now that snowmule has done the final reveal and Jeff answered my tool quesiton, I will post a couple of pictures that show what my granddaughters and I found last night. I have some ideas from my co-workers but I do not have a definate answer.

We climbed up a gulley last night ...

DSCN0733.JPG

and found a cave. Inside the cave ...

DSCN0734.JPG

... behind teh waterfall and to the right of Eden (my youngest now 2 years old) I noticed what looked like bricks. It was geting dark so I could not see well (old eyes) but I took a picture shown below.

DSCN0735.JPG

and one more picture to give you as much info as I have.

DSCN0736.JPG

The other side of the cave opening behind the waterfall does not look strange.

DSCN0737.JPG

If you have ideas, I am willing to listen!

I am not sure what the bricks were put the for????

Ben

Well almost 3 years latter I think I know what that was.

It is a spring head and the bricks were there to keep critter and stuff out. I do not think I mentioned it but I did find a pipe running up toward that location as we climbed the hill. It may indeed have been used by the old moonshiners since cold water is used to help condense the alcohol.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 288 of 294
(4,984 Views)

What, everybody stopped gardening or something?

My wife and i also forage for mushrooms. My favourite is "Sparassis crispa" or cauliflower fungus.

This brainy thing

AeroSoul_0-1676962355535.png

We even took some classes to help us with the foraging. The main point of the guy was that if you try a mushroom and it's spicy, it's poisonous (only works for a certain type of mushroom tho)

Message 289 of 294
(962 Views)

@AeroSoul wrote:

The main point of the guy was that if you try a mushroom and it's spicy, it's poisonous (only works for a certain type of mushroom tho)

Back as kids we were vacationing in the Black Forest, hunting mushrooms almost every day. So delicious!

One day in the middle of the deep forest we met a probably 90 year old lady with bad eyesight doing the same. We asked her how shell tells if it is poisonous and she replied that she breaks off a small piece and holds it against the tongue for a few seconds.

Obviously she was the standing proof that this really works, but I would not know the taste parameters to tell. We just read all the books instead. 😄

My favorite was always the Reizker fried in butter. This one bleeds bright orange when you cut it!

(For example, the Death Cap  is reported to taste excellent and by the time (much later!) you notice poisoning symptoms, it's too late.)

0 Kudos
Message 290 of 294
(827 Views)