BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI of the Day (8/16/09)

A structure for today "Stacked Sequence Structure"  Quick-drop or drop-kick?

I'll admit to using a few of these...In LV2.  Still a few kinks in the whole left-to-right thing back then, plus they hadn't really adopted the error cluster and other pass-through methods of flow control.  What's your excuse today?

If you don't like the rampant parallelism in LV and like to have a cup of coffee while your VI runs, then this is for you.

I still have found one use for these, I can hide any Express VIs that I happen to use on a BD.  A case structure with a constant wired is also effective for this, but a little more obvious to those looking over your shoulder.  In that case, use a hidden control wired to the case structure... 

Joking aside, read the section on avoiding these, some of the best advice in the help.

Message 1 of 6
(7,686 Views)

I've found the ONLY reason people tend to use sequence structures is to put 'Wait' functions between certain operations.
You can use the wait from OpenG.
This way, you can just wire the error cluster through, and save yourself all those frames.

Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,669 Views)

As I mentioned in the Stacked Seq Eleimination Nugget , the Stacked Seq Structures are great place to put your design docs!

By imbedding the design doc in the code, those that follow in your foot steps can easily tap into the design with a click or two.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 6
(7,646 Views)
I tend to drop-kick them but I'm a bit of a snob.  They still have a place on the palettes but are often misused and abused.  I usually right click a stacked sequence and convert it to a case statement.  A state machine is just moments away. Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,631 Views)

Ben wrote:

As I mentioned in the Stacked Seq Eleimination Nugget , the Stacked Seq Structures are great place to put your design docs!

That would be theonly use for them..  Because of their abuse, they should be banned from the structures palette....

Message 5 of 6
(7,610 Views)

Or, if not banned, at least moved to an "Advanced" subpalette.  Beginners would not look there and be much less likely to use and abuse them.

I just need to remember to start using Ben's suggestion.

Lynn 

Message 6 of 6
(7,571 Views)