BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is Hooovahh

@Hooovahh wrote:

Chasing Greener Pastures

Yep, never change jobs just for more money.  There are plenty of other reasons to leave a job (refuse to promote, horrible working conditions, boss is a @%$#%, etc.).  But with that said, the only times I have gotten even a decent raise was by graduating (went from a technician to an engineer) or leaving a company.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 421 of 460
(1,932 Views)

There's a time/place/reason for it.  Recently did that myself.

My side gigs were going well (snow/avalanche training, radio tech work).  Wanted to take my snow training thing to the next level.  Burned all my vacation in the winter doing the snow training thing.  Couldn't balance 3 jobs.  Restructured my businesses (the way I should have done it years ago). 

Biggest regret is not doing this years earlier.

Got to the point where I really hated going to the desk job every morning.  Corporate buyout/merger, the company wasn't what it was when I started.

Now, some days my office is a snowmobile in the mountains.  Other days it's the cab of a snocat.  Next week it might be the roof of a highrise building.  Quick trip in a truck to the top of a mountain to fix a stack of misbehaving radios, then I spend a few days talking about tower rescues to a group of radio techs. 

Know what I don't miss?  Sitting at a desk all day long.  Sometimes the pay isn't worth the bullsh_t that comes with it.  (I don't pay myself jack, but my businesses are doing well 😉.)  When running 3 businesses is less stress and more fun than one "real" job, something's wrong.

i-RhCB7Bn-Li-PZBbWGS-Li-36DtMj7-Li-mjmWJtP-L

Message 422 of 460
(1,892 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

So they get the new job with the bump in pay and a new list of responsibilities.  

Back in the early seventies, my uncle who worked in finance had a nice library. I was a teenager. He offered me free use of his library and I could borrow any book I want.

One of the first books I borrowed was The Peter Principle. Still all true!!

Message 423 of 460
(1,782 Views)

"How is this data going to get from our DAQ system, to the server?" - Hooovahh

"It will just go from here to there." - Clueless Manager

"No, what mechanism is there to transfer the data to the server's database?" - Hooovahh

"Ethernet." - Clueless Manager

Message 424 of 460
(1,168 Views)

"We need to do this, and this, and this." - My Boss

"Okay well first we need to talk it over with management before making a decision." - Bureaucrats

"…I am management, this is my decision" - My Boss

Message 425 of 460
(1,163 Views)

I got a phone call from someone in another department:

We have some questions.  Are you in this 200 person group chat for the ongoing program?

No, and I’d appreciate it if you didn’t add me. - Hooovahh

I respect that.

Message 426 of 460
(1,174 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

I got a phone call from someone in another department:

We have some questions.  Are you in this 200 person group chat for the ongoing program?

No, and I’d appreciate it if you didn’t add me. - Hooovahh

I respect that.

I'm confused.   200 people.  Is that the size of the sub-committee's Task working group? Or, is that the number of people assigned for fact finding?  

I'm curious about the ratio of N people required to attend group Chat : N people attending group chat while updating their resume

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 427 of 460
(1,154 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

I'm curious about the ratio of N people required to attend group Chat : N people attending group chat while updating their resume

It was roughly 5 people that get the work done, and understand their rolls very well.  About 5 managers that should be kept up to date about the issue and how it is progressing.  About 50 people that would interject random comments or questions that would derail the thread, causing no one to know who was talking about what.  And another 140 or so people that sat in silence never responding, but likely feel important knowing their name is somehow associated with the discussion, while having no clue what is actually going on.

0 Kudos
Message 428 of 460
(1,085 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

It was roughly 5 people that get the work done, and understand their rolls very well.  About 5 managers that should be kept up to date about the issue and how it is progressing.  About 50 people that would interject random comments or questions that would derail the thread, causing no one to know who was talking about what.  And another 140 or so people that sat in silence never responding, but likely feel important knowing their name is somehow associated with the discussion, while having no clue what is actually going on.

About what I expected.   10 necessary participants,  50 bodies that are too clueless to shut up but have to justify their self worth with ideas and 140 people eating donuts while billing project time.

Yup, my opinion isn't nearly as sugar-coated as the donuts. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 429 of 460
(1,027 Views)

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn’t even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
— Heraclitus

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 430 of 460
(803 Views)