BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is Hooovahh

Me: So is Control Desk or Automation Desk a programming language?

Coworker: It's not so much a programming language, as it a large list of arbitrary rules, that have little, if anything to do with programming concepts.

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 460
(18,987 Views)

"It's a text based programming thing, you wouldn't understand."

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 460
(18,921 Views)

Coworker:  "This is not a code review.  What is the opposite of a code review, that's what this is."

Hooovahh:  "A code deview?"

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 460
(18,788 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Coworker:  "This is not a code review.  What is the opposite of a code review, that's what this is."

So what I am reading here is that you had a meeting where your coworker basically said "This is my horrible code and there isn't a darn thing you can do about it."

Seriously, what was the point of the meeting then?  If you aren't trying to make the code work better, then was the point to make it worse?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 460
(18,777 Views)

crossrulz wrote:

Seriously, what was the point of the meeting then?  

I don't think I should give too many more details.  But I already voiced an opinion very similar to yours.

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 460
(18,770 Views)
@crossrulz wrote:

@Hooovahh wrote:

So what I am reading here is that you had a meeting where your coworker basically said "This is my horrible code and there isn't a darn thing you can do about it."

Seriously, what was the point of the meeting then?  If you aren't trying to make the code work better, then was the point to make it worse?

You sound surprised. Most coders and engineers think their work is the best. Calling an ego-stroking deview is no surprise to me.

It's even better when it's old code because you mix in nostalgia which makes things even more "amazing". (not that we have seen that before /sarcasm)

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
0 Kudos
Message 46 of 460
(18,770 Views)

@JW-L3CE wrote:
@crossrulz wrote:

@Hooovahh wrote:

You sound surprised. Most coders and engineers think their work is the best. Calling an ego-stroking deview is no surprise to me.

It's even better when it's old code because you mix in nostalgia which makes things even more "amazing". (not that we have seen that before /sarcasm)

Josh, you know I am not surprised by that sort of thing.  Been around the block plenty of times.  I've seen more than you wish to know (though, you know most of it already).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 47 of 460
(18,759 Views)

I have found out (the hard way of course) that in a code review meeting, the difference between "Crap-Code" and "code which is richly obfuscated" is directly related to the managerial authority relationship between the developer and the review participant.

as in "Well boss, This code sure is richly obfuscated."

Spoiler
I did wind up doing a complete refactoring of that code

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 48 of 460
(18,703 Views)

"Always code as if the guy, who ends up maintaining your code, is a violent psychopath who knows, where you live."

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 49 of 460
(18,604 Views)
By the way the code review finished, and all suggestions to improve it were discarded. I asked why we were wasting time with the review and i was told this was more of a training meeting where others could learn about the code. I asked why then this was called a code review...no real answer has been mentioned.
0 Kudos
Message 50 of 460
(18,601 Views)