Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is Hooovahh

@User002 wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@Hooovahh wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

The United States Navy did not allow personnel with Red-Green color blindness to train as an Electronics Technician.   

Oh that reminds me that my electronics professor was color blind and had a hard time reading the various color codes resistors.  He could do most of them but every once in a while he would have to ask what the colors were.

There's an app for that nowadays. Several actually. Haven't tried any of them.

Not when you can't see the difference between 2 and 6

This makes me curious - I know there are apps that interpret the resistor color code for you, but has anyone come across an app that actually does the "looking" for you? That uses a built-in camera to "see" the colors and interpret the resistor value?

-joeorbob

The first app I found seems to do that: resistor scanner 

Message 271 of 460
(9,836 Views)

This is the "old-school" way to interpret a resistor color code if you are  achromatopic...
wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@User002 wrote:

@JÞB 

Rated 5☆ E for everyone no dataplan needed. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 272 of 460
(9,829 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Lol, my question probably deserves this link instead.

-joeorbob

0 Kudos
Message 273 of 460
(9,820 Views)

@User002 wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Lol, my question probably deserves this link instead.

-joeorbob

First time I googled I got that resistor scanner. The 2nd time, after your question, I couldn't find it, only the manual apps. So, don't feel bad, it seems the exact search terms are critical.

If it does as advertised, it seems pretty convenient to have. Even though I hardly do any electronics. Or maybe because I hardly do any electronics; I'll never learn those colors by hart.

0 Kudos
Message 274 of 460
(9,804 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:  I'll never learn those colors by hart.

You just haven't learned the pretty inappropriate saying to help.  I won't repeat it here...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 275 of 460
(9,796 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

You just haven't learned the pretty inappropriate saying to help.  I won't repeat it here...

There are quite a few decent ones: List_of_electronic_color_code_mnemonics (this also lists 10 that are offensive).

0 Kudos
Message 276 of 460
(9,815 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

There are quite a few decent ones: List_of_electronic_color_code_mnemonics (this also lists 10 that are offensive).

Yeah, the first one under "Offensive" is the one I was taught.  I probably remember it well because I was taking aback so much when I first heard it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 277 of 460
(9,807 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

Yeah, the first one under "Offensive" is the one I was taught.  I probably remember it well because I was taking aback so much when I first heard it.

I wander how long those racists ones stay there... I'd actually agree if they are removed.

0 Kudos
Message 278 of 460
(9,802 Views)

Camera detection of the color code migth run into errors in the case you found a resistor that has changed (partly) colors due to age or to much current (or other heat sources) 😄

Even wet brains have trouble in these cases... 

Spoiler
Sometimes I repair old equipment (mainly tube based) 😉
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 279 of 460
(9,788 Views)

Yeah I'm not sure the color accuracy of a phone is that good.  Maybe it is just good enough but with shadows, uneven lighting, and then the camera itself it is probably pretty error prone.

0 Kudos
Message 280 of 460
(9,785 Views)