BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is Hooovahh

@Hooovahh wrote:

One station involved robots and had several light curtains to protect operators.  The idea is that if someone walks past a certain area, the robots would stop moving and not hurt the operator.  This was part of the requirements document that was specified.  So as a test, when the robot was moving we pushed a chair into the light curtain.  And watched in horror as the robot continued moving and eventually finished its move operation.

Was their first response "the requirements doesn't say anything about chairs"?  

Guess that will be a problem when AI starts kicking in. "I'm programmed to stop for operators. That killed cleaner isn't an operator, the overall was blue, not red.". 

0 Kudos
Message 241 of 460
(10,082 Views)

Just had one today.  I was walking a new engineer through some of our test software showing him how it worked with test management, hardware abstraction, test control, reporting, and other features.

Co-worker: So is this the software you use in the test lab?  How did you get it?

Hooovahh: What do you mean?

Co-worker: Well I mean it obviously isn't written in LabVIEW

Hooovahh: <Biggest Grin Under a Mask> Oh of course its written in LabVIEW.

Message 242 of 460
(9,952 Views)

OH NO (it’s just block diagram clean up)

I was working on developing software for an automotive qualified component.  The customer just happened to be over my shoulder as we were testing out some changes.  I had the software open and I was doing some edits in LabVIEW on a really large VI.  It had a state machine and was organized by complexity-wise it was about the largest VI I had made so far.  I was doing some development and had held CTRL and meant to hit O to open a VI but the keyboard was a flat one and had the keys very close together and my fat finger pressed U.  The mouse turned into the waiting cursor and I knew I had mistakenly pressed block diagram cleanup.  

I yelled out “OH NO!” and the customer next to me started to panic “WHAT IS IT!”  “On nothing I just accidentally pressed cleanup.”  After 30 seconds of chugging away LabVIEW returned with a block diagram that was way worse, I did undo and went back to working.  But at the moment I realized how my little annoyance in pressing the wrong key likely triggered the customers blood pressure as they thought I had done something to actually break the device or the equipment.

Message 243 of 460
(9,784 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

OH NO (it’s just block diagram clean up)

I was working on developing software for an automotive qualified component.  The customer just happened to be over my shoulder as we were testing out some changes.  I had the software open and I was doing some edits in LabVIEW on a really large VI.  It had a state machine and was organized by complexity-wise it was about the largest VI I had made so far.  I was doing some development and had held CTRL and meant to hit O to open a VI but the keyboard was a flat one and had the keys very close together and my fat finger pressed U.  The mouse turned into the waiting cursor and I knew I had mistakenly pressed block diagram cleanup.  

I yelled out “OH NO!” and the customer next to me started to panic “WHAT IS IT!”  “On nothing I just accidentally pressed cleanup.”  After 30 seconds of chugging away LabVIEW returned with a block diagram that was way worse, I did undo and went back to working.  But at the moment I realized how my little annoyance in pressing the wrong key likely triggered the customers blood pressure as they thought I had done something to actually break the device or the equipment.

You do know that you can customize menu shortcuts right?  Having a menu option for Cleanup can be occasionally useful for the Forums but, Ctrl+U doesn't have to do anything. 😉

Now, the "BIG QUESTION" why was it way worse?  Did Cleanup replace all your Stacked Sequence Structures with Flat ones?🔥😂

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 244 of 460
(9,768 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Now, the "BIG QUESTION" why was it way worse?  Did Cleanup replace all your Stacked Sequence Structures with Flat ones?🔥😂

Because Hooovahh did it right the first time. If you do it right diagram cleanup will ALWAYS make the code way worse.

0 Kudos
Message 245 of 460
(9,759 Views)

@johntrich1971 wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

Because Hooovahh did it right the first time. If you do it right diagram cleanup will ALWAYS make the code way worse.

Cleanup never changes the code John.  Hooovahh IMHO generally does write well played out code.

I think that I can bust his chops occasional.   And, please, vote for the Idea Exchange his post inspired!  Here 

0 Kudos
Message 246 of 460
(9,752 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Cleanup never changes the code John. 

That opens up a philosophical debate. What is code? Is it just the functionality, or the way it looks as well? Are comments part of the code?

0 Kudos
Message 247 of 460
(9,743 Views)

Yes Jeff, along with any Champion, and anyone that knows me well is welcome to bust my chops, as long as the reverse is also welcome.  No the cleanup doesn't functionally change the code.  And this was back in the 8.6 era so I assume cleanup didn't work as well as it does today, and probably struggled with complicated code.  All the more reason to avoid it back then for code that was already meticulously cared for.

0 Kudos
Message 248 of 460
(9,742 Views)

@Gregory wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

Cleanup never changes the code John. 

That opens up a philosophical debate. What is code? Is it just the functionality, or the way it looks as well? Are comments part of the code?

I'll bite.

My position is that "CODE IS" functionality, performance and mainainability.  Comments should be attached for maintenance but, have no other influence on functionality nor performance.  Use existing tools like  VI Metrics and the UTF Framework for functionality and performance!  Maintenance and mainainability are more art than science. 

If you're good, code can sing!

0 Kudos
Message 249 of 460
(9,732 Views)

I'm also not a fan of the Diagram Cleanup.  But I will state that is is *mostly* fine for "simple" VIs.  But as soon as you add any complexity or use a State Machine, QMH, etc., Diagram Cleanup will make the code unreadable.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 250 of 460
(9,729 Views)