BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is Hooovahh

@Hooovahh wrote:

A new term I learned for this is bike shedding.

I like the (there mentioned) term yak shaving as well. Can't have enough euphemisms for procrastination Smiley Very Happy.

0 Kudos
Message 191 of 460
(10,932 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

[...] yak shaving [...]

I pride myself on having the best-groomed yaks in my company!  I'll name my next Python data-analysis project after a well-shaved yak and see if anyone here gets the reference. 😄

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 192 of 460
(10,916 Views)

I like the (there mentioned) term yak shaving as well. Can't have enough euphemisms for procrastination Smiley Very Happy.

Procrastination is deadly. Yak shaving sounds like it could be fun.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 193 of 460
(10,890 Views)

a Similar term is Being up to your <Insert body part> in Alligators

So, the first time I visited the great state of Florida:

• I drove from Orlando to Palm Bay through a Category III Hurricane in the dark of night.
  • Stayed up the rest of the night repairing the Weather Radar for the local news television channel
  • got the radar running before the "Daybreak News" early morning edition
  • Went outside for a breather and a cigarette to celebrate a job well done......

Called my company's Chief Operations officer at home to request assistance.  I was 16 ft up the transmitter tower ladder (without the OSHA approved fall arresting gear) with a 12 foot long alligator at the tower base.

Not my favorite memory of "Hanging out" for a few hours.  Riding out a hurricane with alligators up to your AHole is NOT better than having a cup of good coffee at a nice diner BUT, it will keep you awake!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 194 of 460
(10,870 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

a Similar term is Being up to your <Insert body part> in Alligators

So, the first time I visited the great state of Florida:

• I drove from Orlando to Palm Bay through a Category III Hurricane in the dark of night.
  • Stayed up the rest of the night repairing the Weather Radar for the local news television channel
  • got the radar running before the "Daybreak News" early morning edition
  • Went outside for a breather and a cigarette to celebrate a job well done......

Called my company's Chief Operations officer at home to request assistance.  I was 16 ft up the transmitter tower ladder (without the OSHA approved fall arresting gear) with a 12 foot long alligator at the tower base.

Not my favorite memory of "Hanging out" for a few hours.  Riding out a hurricane with alligators up to your AHole is NOT better than having a cup of good coffee at a nice diner BUT, it will keep you awake!

Boss: Why do you call?

Jeff: I'm up to my neck in alligators!

Boss: Just finish the job!

Jeff: But I'm up to my neck in alligators!

Boss: Forget the alligators finish the job!

Etc...

0 Kudos
Message 195 of 460
(10,856 Views)

Two short ones I was reminded of by Facebook today.

"I'm surprised as how much LabVIEW he was able to do, while obviously not knowing how to use LabVIEW."

And

Co-worker: You know what I don't like about this project is how you have to implement the customer specifications.
Hooovahh: You know that's what we do here right?

Message 196 of 460
(10,550 Views)

After the xray revealed that my arm was broken:

Dr: what happened?

Me ( on opiates): I fell

Dr: Which way did you fall?

Me: Down, you moron!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 197 of 460
(10,429 Views)

Credential Issues

I was sent to a production test facility where we were installing a duplicate of a tester we had already made.  I wasn’t involved in the first set of testers that were put in place years ago and wasn't familiar with all the software it used.  There were parts of the software we couldn’t fully test on the new stands until we were on site.  One of those things was the ability to log to a database that was hosted on their network, with the test result. Once on site I got the tester going and asked the local IT guy for the login credentials so that I could test the system and log to the database. 

He said he couldn’t give it to me the login credentials and that they were secured and that sharing them would be a security violation. After he left, I just went to the other tester we had deployed years ago and copied the “User” and “Password” to the new tester, and sure enough it worked fine. When the IT came by I told him I found the solution and I used the User and Password account from the other tester.  He got nervous, didn't say anything and ran off quickly. Then a few minutes later he came back he said:

“Okay I took care of it, that account has been deleted.” - IT

“I didn’t ask you to delete that account.” - Me

“Well it was insecure and needed to be removed.” - IT

“Did you tell the production team, because that line is going to stop working without that account.” - Me

And just then someone on the production line yelled “Hey this thing isn’t working anymore!” I just thought it was so weird that IT refused to help with getting their own system working, and then when I found a solution he decided to just remove that option for me without thinking about how it would affect others. He ended up having to create a new account that he claimed was more secure and then we put that account on the systems.

Message 198 of 460
(10,340 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

And just then someone on the production line yelled “Hey this thing isn’t working anymore!” I just thought it was so weird that IT refused to help with getting their own system working,

Yet another reason I avoid as much as possible to keep my test systems off of the corporate network.  IT almost always cause problems for no good reason.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 199 of 460
(10,335 Views)

I smiled when reading Hooovahh's post, then frowned when reading crossrulz'.  My group has this argument all the time, and I maintain that data that isn't available to other functional groups is next-to-useless.  It often means that I'm the gatekeeper and everybody is justified in asking me to answer whatever crazy (or reasonable) question they have.  Or, worse, it means that the data isn't aggregated/tracked/examined once the acceptance test is passed.

I've had people suggest building an "engineering" network that we control.  Good grief, Charlie Brown!

What solutions have you implemented that could get me down off of the ledge?

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 200 of 460
(10,321 Views)