cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is Hooovahh

@JW-JnJ wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

@JW-JnJ wrote:

People always laugh at me when I give them an installer, it works the first time, and I mistrust it. Little do they know I'm being serious. Software does not work the first time.

While working as a consultant to a 3rd party supplier.... I  wound up in a conference call with some Admiral in the Pentagon...  my installer work fine the first time.   And on a different Windows version! 😄

I took the boss's suggestion and had magnetic business cards printed

Well that's one heckuva time for that to happen. For an Admiral? Mine are always for an engineer here.

Magnetic cards are a good idea. I've been tempted to make PCB ones too.

Now I should say, I've usually tested the heck out of it in development by this time. However, I usually forget a dependency file, forget to switch a development branch of code off, and/or just general Windows and driver shenanigans. 

Not that I  want to thump my chest,  it really was a long time ago.

Yeah, I took a contractor gig to a nice group that had no LabVIEW...  the data logging and GUI were specifically required to be LabVIEW.. the DAQ was proprietary to  the 3rd party company  that my employer contracted me to  represent, and was capable of wireless comms through the skin of a stealth aircraft. 

The company negotiated an extension for the LabVIEW part of the project. .. I delivered on time, and 4 hours ahead of the rest of the project.    

Oh, yeah, I  was point man in that call.  Installing the software live, and in front of everyone. 

Thankfully I was not hooked up to any sweat monitors 

Read that how you want... 5contracts removed and with the floor in the  delivery.... and I had forgotten to buy anti-perspirment 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 161 of 460
(11,871 Views)

NI Hardware Research Call

On the forums people often ask about hardware capabilities of some device.  And as a result I’ll often be searching for the hardware specs online. So I searched the product, get the information I needed and replied to the thread about the contents.  Shortly after searching I got a call from NI.  A nice lady on the other end had mentioned how they noticed I was interested in some hardware product and wanted to know if I needed help.  I explained I am a LabVIEW champion and as a result I’m often helping others find the NI products they need and wasn't researching it for myself. She said “Oh well if you need any help from NI let me know”. And I said, “Well I’m here to help NI so if there is anything you need let me know too”.  She was a bit confused and laughed.

Message 162 of 460
(11,767 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

On the forums people often ask about hardware capabilities of some device.  And as a result I’ll often be searching for the hardware specs online. So I searched the product, get the information I needed and replied to the thread about the contents.  Shortly after searching I got a call from NI. 

I have had the same calls after answering questions myself.  I laugh at first and then realize that everyone is tracking everyone like how Google searches can totally over run all the ads you see for days...... 

0 Kudos
Message 163 of 460
(11,746 Views)

@_Bryan wrote:

@Hooovahh wrote:

On the forums people often ask about hardware capabilities of some device.  And as a result I’ll often be searching for the hardware specs online. So I searched the product, get the information I needed and replied to the thread about the contents.  Shortly after searching I got a call from NI. 

I have had the same calls after answering questions myself.  I laugh at first and then realize that everyone is tracking everyone like how Google searches can totally over run all the ads you see for days...... 

Incredible how certain automatic algorithms run even during a gmail mail edit. A few weeks ago I got a call from a very good friend (we were in the same secondary school class), who works as a prison officer. He got a request from one of his bosses to look up some info in the internet, regarding to how easy/difficult to make methamphetamine by inmates in prison environment. Recently they started to find opened up lithium batteries, and other ingredients/chemicals which were smuggled into the prison.

So this friend asked me to search the internet because he does not speak/read English. I started to look for information, what precursors are required, like ephedrine based cough medicines, what is the procedure without expensive laboratory equipment, etc...

Well, after collecting some info from different resources, I started to type the info plus links into Gmail. After a few sentences, a pop-up window appeared:

-"Would you like to switch to confidential mode??"

Hahaha 😄 I was quite surprised 😄 I guess certain words just trigger an automatic switch inside Gmail? 🙂  

0 Kudos
Message 164 of 460
(11,742 Views)

Dusty system

I had worked on a PXI test system which did very basic data logging, signal processing, and sequencing.  The PXI system was just running Windows with no real-time hardware other than the DAQ cards. The system was developed, tested, deployed and the project went on without any major issues.  Years later we got a call from the customer complaining about how their system was now no longer working right. They explained it was extremely slow taking forever to boot up, and once it did the program no longer recorded everything it should have.  After the basic troubleshooting remotely, someone finally went on site to troubleshoot it.

Everything on the system seemed fine.  There weren’t a ton of programs installed, the hard drive, and ram were swapped out, but this didn’t make any difference.  The CPU was at 100% all the time and it was painfully slow to use. The PXI system was placed on a desk and powered, and the software started up with a loading progress bar.  While waiting for the software to load someone sat down a set of binders on top of the PXI chassis, and when they did a loud ticking grinding noise started and the progress bar went to 100% right away.  Apparently the fans in the back were so clogged with dirt that they no longer spun at all. To save the CPU from overheating Windows was underclocking the CPU more and more. Setting the binder down allowed the fan to spin just enough to cool it so that it would speed up, and start the software.  From then on all of the user manuals we produced mentioned proper cleaning of the fan guards. If anyone else runs into this type of issue be sure and check Task Manager where in Windows 10 the CPU clock speed and Base Speed are listed.

Message 165 of 460
(11,677 Views)

New Employee Audio Driver Issues

I had recently started a new job.  Most of the work I was doing was in an office setting, sitting in a cube with several others.  IT came down and setup my laptop with a new image with all the basic software installed on it. I met several of my new coworkers and started coding.  I sometimes listen to music while I work and have a couple of genres I switch between. So I put in my headphones and started working.

Near the end of my first week I saw a coworker walk by my desk and he was bobbing their head at the same beat of the music I was listening to.  I paused it, took off my headphones and said “You can hear that” and he said “Yeah”. So I resumed the music with the headphones off and I could hear the music coming from the laptop speakers and my headphones at the same time.  The new image from IT had the wrong audio drivers, and it was playing through both at once. Of course most of that week I happen to be listening to the most girliest bubblegum pop music imaginable. Quite a first impression for several people I hadn’t even talked to yet to know me as that guy listening to chick music all day.  Even if it wasn't chick music people must have been annoyed with the random guy that played his music so everyone had to listen to it all the time.  I was sorta embarrassed and gave the IT guy a hard time about it for a while.

Message 166 of 460
(11,429 Views)

Wearing headphones and turning speakers on, that's a hole new level of A-socialness! Those millennials see you as their leader now.

Message 167 of 460
(11,386 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Those millennials see you as their leader now.

I'm a millennial.

0 Kudos
Message 168 of 460
(11,380 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Those millennials see you as their leader now.

I'm a millennial.

And now their leader Smiley Tongue.

0 Kudos
Message 169 of 460
(11,377 Views)

I'm most surprised that no one mentioned anything to you. Maybe they thought it was some crazy office power move from the new guy.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 170 of 460
(11,366 Views)