cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

The start of a new era dawns with The passing of the first Knight.

Re: The start of a new era dawns with The passing of the first Knight.

And Brian Renken very active early on and the original owner of the info-tabview.org domain is raising goats in CA.  I got ahold of him a few years back and got the domain from him for the mailing list.  But he seemed quite happy with dealing with wire fences instead of wire code.  The list just turned 27 years old!

Message 61 of 72
(733 Views)

Re: The start of a new era dawns with The passing of the first Knight.


@sth wrote:

And Brian Renken very active early on and the original owner of the info-tabview.org domain is raising goats in CA.  I got ahold of him a few years back and got the domain from him for the mailing list.  But he seemed quite happy with dealing with wire fences instead of wire code.  The list just turned 27 years old!


That is a goal to which I aspire. I hope to follow his lead in the very near future.

 

Spoiler
While developing new and exotic applications in LabVIEW has been entertaining and fun, the constantly changing environment and the challenge of keeping up with the changes gets old after 42 years. Turning my back on the tech world and surrounding myself with God's creation and things that have been the same for all time is quite a wonderful thought.

 

 

Ben

Message 62 of 72
(700 Views)

Re: The start of a new era dawns with The passing of the first Knight.


@Ben wrote:

@sth wrote:

And Brian Renken very active early on and the original owner of the info-tabview.org domain is raising goats in CA.  I got ahold of him a few years back and got the domain from him for the mailing list.  But he seemed quite happy with dealing with wire fences instead of wire code.  The list just turned 27 years old!


That is a goal to which I aspire. I hope to follow his lead in the very near future.

 

Spoiler
While developing new and exotic applications in LabVIEW has been entertaining and fun, the constantly changing environment and the challenge of keeping up with the changes gets old after 42 years. Turning my back on the tech world and surrounding myself with God's creation and things that have been the same for all time is quite a wonderful thought.

 

 

Ben


It is not just the keeping up that gets old.

It is the fact that my experience is no longer valued.

I have seen job ads for companies who do it on the cheap with technicians instead of engineers.

I have seen job ads for companies who only want to hire those with ideally 5 years of experience.

The jobs that I am qualified for are one-hour commute one-way --- if they want to hire me.

 

I forgot another thing I am tired of --- products manufactured overseas and those test engineers asking for help here --- TIRED of it.

 

 

I am just tired of it. 

 

Assuming I can find a full-time job, I would be making less than I was at Lucent 15 years ago.

 

 

 

 

Message 63 of 72
(688 Views)

Re: The start of a new era dawns with The passing of the first Knight.

Still just a comparative newb, but I hope to be at this for a good while longer yet.  

 

 

 

...unless I win the lottery, then I'm packing up shop and buyin' a sailboat. 

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 64 of 72
(679 Views)

Re: The start of a new era dawns with The passing of the first Knight.


@pallen

...unless I win the lottery, then I'm packing up shop and buyin' a sailboat. 


I feel like I did win the lottery.  Working in a fun and ever expanding industry that challenges me, great co-workers, great boss that understands and respects what I can do, a 10 minute commute from the house that was something like 80% of my yearly salary.  It isn't always rainbows and sunshine but I'm probably happier after 14 years of doing this than someone who won the lottery 14 years ago.

 

EDIT: Tim Wilson was also tired (NSFW language) quite dated jokes BTW.


Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines - Hooovahh - LabVIEW Overlord
Interesting in learning all you can about automotive CAN bus communication? Checkout my 12 part CAN Blog series.

Message 65 of 72
(672 Views)

Re: The start of a new era dawns with The passing of the first Knight.

I like the way you think.  Smiley Happy

 

And this morning as Linda and The Dirt Band play, I am admittedly enjoying "working" more than I ever have. 

 

https://youtu.be/JAyh1KdfqNQ

 

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 66 of 72
(665 Views)
Highlighted

Re: The start of a new era dawns with The passing of the first Knight.


@pallen wrote:

 

 

...unless I win the lottery, then I'm packing up shop and buyin' a sailboat. 


While I sometimes think about what I might do if I won the lottery, that chance is very small statistically and in my case pretty much non-existent as I do not buy lottery tickets :-)

Rolf Kalbermatter
Averna BV
LabVIEW ArchitectLabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Instructor
Message 67 of 72
(650 Views)

Re: The start of a new era dawns with The passing of the first Knight.


@rolfk wrote:

@pallen While I sometimes think about what I might do if I won the lottery, that chance is very small statistically and in my case pretty much non-existent as I do not buy lottery tickets :-)

Rolf, as you seem to be aware the lottery is a simple tax on those who can't do math.  (and a source of income for those who can!)

Message 68 of 72
(646 Views)

Re: The start of a new era dawns with The passing of the first Knight.


@nyc wrote:

@Ben wrote:

@sth wrote:

And Brian Renken very active early on and the original owner of the info-tabview.org domain is raising goats in CA.  I got ahold of him a few years back and got the domain from him for the mailing list.  But he seemed quite happy with dealing with wire fences instead of wire code.  The list just turned 27 years old!


That is a goal to which I aspire. I hope to follow his lead in the very near future.

 

Spoiler
While developing new and exotic applications in LabVIEW has been entertaining and fun, the constantly changing environment and the challenge of keeping up with the changes gets old after 42 years. Turning my back on the tech world and surrounding myself with God's creation and things that have been the same for all time is quite a wonderful thought.

 

 

Ben


It is not just the keeping up that gets old.

It is the fact that my experience is no longer valued.

I have seen job ads for companies who do it on the cheap with technicians instead of engineers.

I have seen job ads for companies who only want to hire those with ideally 5 years of experience.

The jobs that I am qualified for are one-hour commute one-way --- if they want to hire me.

 

I forgot another thing I am tired of --- products manufactured overseas and those test engineers asking for help here --- TIRED of it.

 

 

I am just tired of it. 

 

Assuming I can find a full-time job, I would be making less than I was at Lucent 15 years ago.

 

 

 

 


I got tired of the contract deal too.  We need one more guy in a nice climate.
PM me 

0 Kudos
Message 69 of 72
(590 Views)

Re: The start of a new era dawns with The passing of the first Knight.

 


While I sometimes think about what I might do if I won the lottery, that chance is very small statistically and in my case pretty much non-existent as I do not buy lottery tickets :-)


I point out to some that even when they don't play there is still a small (probably almost infinitely small) chance they will win as someone might have bought them a ticket.

Instead I am going to become a card shark and play high stakes poker at the Oneida Tribe's new casino in my neighborhood. I should be wealthy very soon! LOL.   They put in charging stations for both Teslas and other plugin EV, had a discussion with friends how long they would be free. I pointed out that for the pennies  the casino would pay for the electricity for a complete charge (worst case) they would guarantee having the driver (and any other occupants) in their casino/restaurants/bar for a number of hours. The car I got over the weekend is, unfortunately (or not) a regular hybrid, not a plugin.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2017, RT8.5


LabVIEW Champion



0 Kudos
Message 70 of 72
(537 Views)