BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The start of a new era dawns with The passing of the first Knight.

Today is memorial day.  How time passes by ...

Message 51 of 78
(10,016 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

I am saddened to learn of the passing of our first and most prolific Knight. His insight and advice will be missed.

Lynn

Since Guenter has bumped this thread it may be time for me to point out that Lynn may have followed Dennis.

I have not been able to contact him via messaging or e-mails.  anyone can show I am wrong please do so!

Lynn was a mentor of mine and kept my knowledge of FFT's filters, etc. lively.

God's speed to you Lynn!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 52 of 78
(10,004 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@johnsold wrote:

I am saddened to learn of the passing of our first and most prolific Knight. His insight and advice will be missed.

Lynn

Since Guenter has bumped this thread it may be time for me to point out that Lynn may have followed Dennis.

I have not been able to contact him via messaging or e-mails.  anyone can show I am wrong please do so!

Lynn was a mentor of mine and kept my knowledge of FFT's filters, etc. lively.

God's speed to you Lynn!

Ben

Google is sometimes good for this if the obituary is online.

How very sad.

Message 53 of 78
(9,933 Views)

And,  I might post another forum heavy hitter that has not been posting great pix for a while .  SnowMule.  Hey Mike, did you jump that sled off of too much jump?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 54 of 78
(9,874 Views)

In this era, with so much of our lives connected through "social media" rather than in the physical world, has the unfortunate side effect of allowing people we consider to be friends, even those we may never have met in person, disappear. And having disappeared, for whatever reason, it is so hard to "find" them in the physical, or is some cases, make them fade. I have considered creating a "in the event of" sealed envelope with passwords and login info so that, heaven forbid, something untimely (or as old as I am, possibly timely) happened, one of mine would be able to 1)notify friends, 2) end my presence on the web. Gloomy thoughts, caused by the recent passing of a "physical world" friend. Also, seeing a lot of doctors, even with them all giving me good (relatively, they say I am no longer 35!) news, has caused me to have "Deep Thoughts"!

Of course, I don't want my "children" to find the envelope before it is time, hate to have them poking around in my "real" life! 😉

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 55 of 78
(9,848 Views)

Side story: Way back in the early '90s, I was involved in fund raising and organisation for a memorial in my home town for all lives lost at sea.  Coming from a fishing village and my father being a fisherman (and being chairman of the Fishermen's association at the time), it was originally thought of as a memorial for fishermen whose lives were lost but whose bodies could never be recovered.  It soon became clear that it needed to be extended to all whose lives were lost at sea and whose bodies never had a final resting place.

howth_monument_3

https://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Ireland/South/Dublin/Howth/photo1431157.htm

The ground the monument is on is consecrated ground.  To date, well over 200 people are remembered here.

While the passing of some of the forum greats does not directly compare to this idea, I was wondering if we shouldn't think about some kind of physical representation of all the forum leaders (I don't want to neccessarily limit it to Champions) who have since passed.  It would represent in some small way a lasting effect they have had on the LabVIEW community.  It seems like such a paltry effort in comparison to the years of effort which went into building the community.

Maybe I'm completely out of my mind, what do others think (about the "monument" and my being out of my mind, if you so wish).

Message 56 of 78
(9,837 Views)

I think this is a nice idea. I could imagine a kind of "wiki" page inside of the LV forum, where these people could be remembered who gave most to the community before they passed away. It could even look like a regular Wikipedia page, like birth/death dates, studies, career, personal life, etc. Also, some additional fun statistics, like most kudoed posts, most impacting contributions, funny quotes "", stories/anecdotes from friends, etc... 🙂

Message 57 of 78
(9,834 Views)

Part of the issue here is that sometimes other LabVIEWers just disappear, for any number of reasons, death being the most extreme (incarceration being high on the list too). Some change jobs where LabVIEW becomes less/un important, some may retire and not hang out here, some, as I have, go through patches where they just don't log on. Unless they have friends in the "real world" that are in contact with them the rest of the community might never know.

As to a wiki, well most of those dwelling here don't have a full bio available to fill in the info, and it still doesn't address the issue of the MIA ones for which we are left in doubt.

In my pretty long time on this and the preceding forums and boards I have seen a number come and go, have known why for some, have known some with serious illness that I assumed had passed, for them to suddenly show back up after a long time. It is just painful to wonder and worry about people we have argued with, joked with, kudoed, when they suddenly aren't there.

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

Message 58 of 78
(9,808 Views)

@LV_Pro wrote:

Part of the issue here is that sometimes other LabVIEWers just disappear, for any number of reasons, death being the most extreme (incarceration being high on the list too). Some change jobs where LabVIEW becomes less/un important, some may retire and not hang out here, some, as I have, go through patches where they just don't log on. Unless they have friends in the "real world" that are in contact with them the rest of the community might never know.

As to a wiki, well most of those dwelling here don't have a full bio available to fill in the info, and it still doesn't address the issue of the MIA ones for which we are left in doubt.

In my pretty long time on this and the preceding forums and boards I have seen a number come and go, have known why for some, have known some with serious illness that I assumed had passed, for them to suddenly show back up after a long time. It is just painful to wonder and worry about people we have argued with, joked with, kudoed, when they suddenly aren't there.

And some might drive a snow machine off a cliff and stop posting pictures for a year ( not necessarily related activities but. ones I've seen a single poster do at different times)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 59 of 78
(9,792 Views)

Another who hasn't posted since 2014, but visited the forums in February of 2018 is Chilly Charly   (chilly_charly) our subterranean frog.

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 60 of 78
(9,781 Views)