BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing AA cells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y_m6p99l6ME

🙂

Reminds me to the rotation test for cooked uncooked eggs ...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 1 of 18
(10,051 Views)

I'll have to try and find two batteries of the same brand to try this out.  

Usually a little in-line resistor to put the battery under a load is the best way to tell.  

...or if it's a 9V just lick it.  Smiley Very Happy

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(10,028 Views)

Tried it on my automotive 12V lead-acid battery, ended up breaking the tiles on my kitchen counter.

It must be really good!

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 3 of 18
(10,014 Views)

Snopes has a discussion on this, with the bottom entry having a possible theoretical answer to why, if it does, it does.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(10,007 Views)

Somebody with a myRIO and a strain gauge should build a little test rig to quantify the number of bounces with the charge level.

Discharge the battery over a 1Ohm power resistor, bounce it every minute and record each strain trace on an intensity chart.

(Fully discharged batteries do expand slighly. If you ever left them in a Maglight, you'll notice that they will no longer slide out.)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(9,989 Views)

Things are much easier with the non-cylidrical sizes (4.5V, 9V, 6V, etc) where the contacts are closer together. You just hold the contacts against your tongue and you'll know immediately if there is any juice left. 😄

Message 6 of 18
(9,982 Views)

Never knew of 4.5V, and I think the 6V terminals were more than an inch away so licking might be more difficult.  But then again I haven't seen one in a while.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(9,976 Views)

Just watch out for the 22V photoflash, or some that were higher for running the old portable tube sets!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(9,962 Views)

I've been doing the licking of the 9V battery for a very long time.  I might have done it a few too many times during my tenure at Radio Shack.

Another trick I learned there was to take 2 9V batterys (preferrably when they are already on the low side) and directly connect them.  Makes a really nice hand warmer.  Perfect for these -20F wind chills we have had lately.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(9,961 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Another trick I learned there was to take 2 9V batterys (preferrably when they are already on the low side) and directly connect them.  

I did this once with two 9V batteries as a kid.  The terminals just plug right into eachother.  I had a DC motor near by so I wired it up and I swear the motor spun really fast, and the batteries got really hot.  After disconnecting them both 9V had no juice at all.  Electrically I convince myself that the motor didn't move at all but that's not how I remember it.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(9,953 Views)