From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing AA cells

I guess the two batteries were discharged differently before you started.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(6,457 Views)

I actaully saw someone try to jump start a car by taking a 12 V lead acid battery out of another car, turning it upside down and pressing the terminals against the terminals of the dead battery!

I do not recall if the car started but I do recall a significant amount of battery acid spalshing all around!  DO NOT try this if you value your fingers, eyes, and cars.

Lynn

Message 12 of 18
(6,444 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

I actaully saw someone try to jump start a car by taking a 12 V lead acid battery out of another car, turning it upside down and pressing the terminals against the terminals of the dead battery!

It might be a Michigan thing, but I'd expect most cars have a set of jumper cables in the trunk.  To find two cars without cables would be rare.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(6,440 Views)

In case someone hasn't heard: 9V batteries click together in series (no wires) to make bigger voltages.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(6,438 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@johnsold wrote:

It might be a Michigan thing, but I'd expect most cars have a set of jumper cables in the trunk.  To find two cars without cables would be rare.

I take it a step further.  I have a jumper battery pack in my trunk.  Back when we were dating, my wife had a car that needed that thing every other day.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(6,430 Views)

Was that how she got attached to you?

Lynn

Message 16 of 18
(6,417 Views)

@Todd_Lesher wrote:

In case someone hasn't heard: 9V batteries click together in series (no wires) to make bigger voltages.

Or nicly shortcut them 😄 Smiley Tongue

Way back, the metall case made perfect housing for RF bugs ... 

(until I learned to build them to run with a single cell ....... )

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 17 of 18
(6,397 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

I do not recall if the car started but I do recall a significant amount of battery acid spalshing all around!  DO NOT try this if you value your fingers, eyes, and cars.

Lynn

Russia, perhaps? Smiley Very Happy

@Hooovahh wrote:

That's what I thought, but judging by the number of people that come straight to my desk when their car won't start, I might be the only one here with a set in the truck. 

Which works fine, except when I ride the motorcycle in.

@Todd_Lesher wrote:

Fun with a few 9V batteries. (244 of them)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hwLHdBTQ7s

Message 18 of 18
(6,340 Views)