BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, How was your NI Week 2014 experience?

OK OK, I was not able to make it down there this year.  I was too busy washing dishes.  (Don't sweat it, I used LabVIEW to enable some scientists to wash those dishes with a fairly cool SCADA system that delivered Wednesday and will enable those chemists and EEs to clean your plates better and faster) 

But, I want to hear your key takeaways from the NI Week 2014 since I did miss it.  what was nifty? what was valuable to you? What are you taking back to your work group?

Consider it a "Random Thoughts" thread---- nothing is off topic on Breakpoint.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 1 of 28
(8,440 Views)

The biggest piece of knowledge I got was Vivado from Xilinx.  Supposedly, our FPGA compilations will be significantly faster and better utilization for newer FPGAs (currently the Zynq and Kintex FPGAs).

Other than that, I met Ray, Putman, and Mike Porter.  I met up with a lot of friends.  Got a few more connections inside of NI.  Stayed up late more than I have since undergrad.  And learned not to ever fly through Dallas/Fort Worth (long story).

I missed a couple of things due to meetings going long, but I'll get that info in other ways.  I was supposed to eat with Jeff K at the Champioin's lunch, but ended up eating with Dr. T instead.

If only Mr. Bohrer was there.  Ray was asking about you.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 28
(8,436 Views)

Presentations were good : Especially the Alliance Day "Secrets of Persuasion: Get Others to say Yes!", very entertaining and encouraging.

Lots of great meetings with great people, met lots of NI folk, especially enjoyed chatting with the Father of LV again (he always amazes me with his endless enthusiasm for G progress), some very interesting closed-door meetings, and some fantastic evenings out.

The Internet of Things is apparently the fourth generation of technology. Eagerly awaiting that.

And the food. As a Brit, I have to say the food is second to none. Don't tell my wife, but I was disappointed to return home and be faced with traditional food. Her cooking is great, but not Texas-great!

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 28
(8,384 Views)

@Thoric wrote:

And the food. As a Brit, I have to say the food is second to none. Don't tell my wife, but I was disappointed to return home and be faced with traditional food. Her cooking is great, but not Texas-great! 

I love Texas food too.  I went for training for a week a few years ago that was not NI Week.  As a result lunch and dinner were not provided and NI encouraged people to go out and try good food in the area suggesting a few places.  That week I think I had brisket for lunch and dinner every meal at a different place, and they were all fantastic.

This year I got in early Sunday and went to go to Franklins.  It is very propular to say the least.  I got there at 1, they closed at 4, and the line was so long I was told you will likely not be served before they close.  Maybe next year.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 28
(8,357 Views)

it was my first NIWeek...i enjoyed a lot..

some of the technical sessions i attend were not that fun or gave me anything new. i guess next year i will focus more on the Hands-On Seminars. other than that it was great...

CLAD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 28
(8,349 Views)

It was hot... again... Though not as hot as previous years, still pretty miserable outside the comfort of the hotel or convention center.

New VST is insane... neat keynote presentations with that technology.

Wish I had cool legos like this as a kid.  Makes the old Technic stuff look like, well, child's toys. Smiley Wink

Rest of the photos of mine are here: http://mule.smugmug.com/Sci-Tech-Eng/20140804/

Message 6 of 28
(8,341 Views)

I attended an hour-long session on "What's new in LabVIEW 2014" in which they actually spent about 5 minutes talking about what was new with LV2014 -- and most of that was discussing the new icon. I do like the new SB cRIO platform and the new 4-slot cRIO and cDAQ systems they look very cool. They have also changed the bundling of toolboxes so most of the most common ones are now included. Why didn't they talk about that more?

Come to think of it, I think they may have spent more time discussing the new icon last week than it took them to actually change it.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 7 of 28
(8,319 Views)
"Come to think of it, I think they may have spent more time discussing the new icon last week than it took them to actually change it."

I dont want to speak for NI but I assure you changing an icon likely involves more time in meetings with marketing and public relations than actual work. It might have been years in the making.
Message 8 of 28
(8,314 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:
"Come to think of it, I think they may have spent more time discussing the new icon last week than it took them to actually change it."

I dont want to speak for NI but I assure you changing an icon likely involves more time in meetings with marketing and public relations than actual work. It might have been years in the making.

From what I managed to gather, that is not far from the truth.  Especially since they had to come up with a different one for the 64-bit version as well.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 28
(8,304 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@Hooovahh wrote:

From what I managed to gather, that is not far from the truth.  Especially since they had to come up with a different one for the 64-bit version as well.

It's very true. The guys responsible for protecting the LabVIEW brand and image were always against producing a new icon because there's so much at stake. This new icon took many years to produce, but only minutes to design.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 28
(8,281 Views)